Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Cleaning and Restoring Exterior Brick Townhouse

Hi All,

I just purchased a townhouse and it is all brick and very old. I would like to get it looking good and would like to know if it is worth it power washing the exterior? Would it make a huge difference? A picture below is attached for your comments.

Note: I have already repainted the bay windows. Thank you!

Dru

management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I guess you could power wash the building but if I were you? I would be shopping around for a mason and tunkpointing person to tell you what is going on and what to spray at the brick. Your brick building may be fine, I cannot tell from the pics. Have an expert out sooner rather than later to advise you on how to approach things and then decide how much you can DIY. In fact call at least three masonry companies in your area before you touch anything.

I know this is a DIY site, and you can certainly do some of the work yourself. Sometimes you just have to pay the piper and pay a pro though.

I love/hate the masons more than the electricians that have worked for me through the years. I feel I put some of their kids though college. But you know, in both cases, calling them earlier rather than later has paid off for me. The masonry experts have saved me tons, maybe oodles of money in restoring antique brick structures. Call them please?

And unless you need immediate brick replacement or tuckpointing? Offer the mason to work off season. Everybody wants all done on the exterior of their homes now that snow is melted. I don't mean to suggest your mason or tuckpointer should work in the snow but offer to buy the crew a sweater or sweatshirt and have them come in October if nothing is that urgent for you?

Last edited by user1007; 05-29-2011 at 09:25 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by management View Post
Hi All,

I just purchased a townhouse and it is all brick and very old.

Dru
How old by the way? I work on homes from the 18th Century (been awhile since I found one so old) up to the 1950s. Most of my work involves homeowners with late 19th Century or early antique 20th Century homes.

Thanks for buying an oldie but goodie by the way.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester
How old by the way? I work on homes from the 18th Century (been awhile since I found one so old) up to the 1950s. Most of my work involves homeowners with late 19th Century or early antique 20th Century homes.

Thanks for buying an oldie but goodie by the way.
Hey thanks! I'm glad I bought it. I'm 27 but have an appreciation for some old brick buildings. It was built in 1880 and sits in a historic district.

I plan to make it a little lofty with exposed brick on the inside but would love to try and get the brick cleaned. The outside looks very weathered.
management is offline   Reply With Quote