Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #1

Share |

Cleaning oven racks Help!

Well here we are a brand new Fridgidaire stove and Convection oven.
Ready to self clean but the how to book says to remove the racks from the oven when self cleaning because they have a coating on the rails that prevents the racks from squealing when sliding in and out and helps slide much easier.

So I preceded to clean the racks by hand in a plastic tub filled with very hot water and soap.
Well the light colored brown substance would not budge, I became frustrated and went to my number two cleaner, a Number 00 steel wool pad, This did the trick but rubbing each wire rod with great pressure. After three racks and all those rods. I know there must be a better and easer way ?
Yes I thought of oven off cleaner, but this was after the fact!
I really don't care for chemicals unless it is of the last resort.

So if you have an easier way you can jump in any time and offer some advise.
Oh ya I asked my wife lets not put all the racks in the oven Just ones we need and when we need another just add it.
Smart " A "

Robut
robut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Try dumping a couple cups of ammonia into a tight garbage bag. Put the racks in. Seal the bag and let it sit outside overnight. Could work.

I've never found the low temp, overnight oven cleaners to be that challenging for oven racks or even the backyard grills. You baking caramel apples without a drip pan or something?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robut View Post
Well here we are a brand new Fridgidaire stove and Convection oven.
Ready to self clean but the how to book says to remove the racks from the oven when self cleaning because they have a coating on the rails that prevents the racks from squealing when sliding in and out and helps slide much easier.

So I preceded to clean the racks by hand in a plastic tub filled with very hot water and soap.
Well the light colored brown substance would not budge, I became frustrated and went to my number two cleaner, a Number 00 steel wool pad, This did the trick but rubbing each wire rod with great pressure. After three racks and all those rods. I know there must be a better and easer way ?
Yes I thought of oven off cleaner, but this was after the fact!
I really don't care for chemicals unless it is of the last resort.

So if you have an easier way you can jump in any time and offer some advise.
Oh ya I asked my wife lets not put all the racks in the oven Just ones we need and when we need another just add it.
Smart " A "

Robut
very helpfull indeed
AmandaKennyJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Try dumping a couple cups of ammonia into a tight garbage bag. Put the racks in. Seal the bag and let it sit outside overnight. Could work.

I've never found the low temp, overnight oven cleaners to be that challenging for oven racks or even the backyard grills. You baking caramel apples without a drip pan or something?
Thanks your right on!!

No Caramel baked ?
I called the stove company and a very nice woman in Tech support told me to do the exact same thing. She said she would add about 1 to 2 cups of Ammonia to a large plastic bag and store in a safe area from Children and pets for up to 48 hours
using a stiff brush would restore the racks like new,
Thanks

Robut
robut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaKennyJe View Post
very helpfull indeed
What is the point of this post?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #6

You paid for a self cleaning oven and can't clean the racks?

I clean the racks with the self cleaning feature. I also put my BBQ racks in there as well.

How much rack sliding goes on that you have to have easy sliding. Lets face it, these don't have a hundred pound of meat layin' on 'em.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
You paid for a self cleaning oven and can't clean the racks?
Some get so hot they will destroy the chrome finish and I suspect that is what is meant by effecting the glide. And I know they are supposed to be safe, but heating a home appliance up so hot that is just plunked in a cabinet cavity scares me as putting a high BTU commercial stove in improperly (and I see this more than I would like). I have never bought a self-cleaning oven but have found some with properties in decent shape and not worth replacing. I do understand the potential convenience I guess but as mentioned the overnight cleaners seem to work well. I also appreciate concerns about inappropriate or oversuse of caustic chemicals though.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote