Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

cleaning fingerprints off flat paint

hello, i figured id ask this question here, since this site is very useful with the home improvements im doing. i recently had my living rooms and bedrooms walls painted with a flat paint. it looks great, so a week after it was painted, i started to hang stuff on the walls. when i finished i noticed any spot on the wall i had rested my hand, left behind smudgy finger and handprints. i tried a little dishsoap and water to remove them, to no avail. i admit i didnt really scrub hard as i didnt wanna ruin the paint, needless to say, it didnt clean the smudges. ive read many ways to go about this, since flat paint is so hard to clean. baby wipes, toothpaste, magic eraser

which is the best option? i hear the magic eraser can actually remove paint. toothpaste seems to be a highly recommened option online, as are baby wipes. if anyone has any other suggestions id be so happy to hear them. only the darker colored walls (bedroom is a blue and living room contrast wall is a darker green/olive) seem to have this problem, i hung stuff on a wall i did in a light greenish/tan color, and none of my fingerprints showed up...thanks again

Lethrneck4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Good quality flat paint should not be problem to clean. Soapy rag...wet rag.. green scrubby... what ever you prefer for the task.

BUT!

The trick is observe the cure time. Read the label on your can. Most advise 14 to 21 days before you attempt cleaning.

If you can not wait ... clean the handprints (don't worry about the paint...because you will touch it -up)

The nice thing about flat paint is easy touch up painting.

Paints with a sheen like egg shell, semi-gloss etc... you may need to paint corner to corner to have an invisable touch-up.

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
remodeling pro

I have used Windex sprayed on a pure white paper towel or wash cloth, as well as Mr. Clean Magic Eraser without problems. Dishwashing liquid or shampoo should also be ok, and will do better if the smudges are oil from your hands. Be aware of paper towels with colored decorations!
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #4

thank you for the quick reply. i have tried using some baby wipes, didnt work....now ive tried just some soapy water with mild pressure..paint was on the towel when i was done. does this mean the paint hasnt properly cured yet? its been about 2 weeks that the bedroom has been done. i cant tell if the soapy water worked or not as its still a wetspot on the paint. ill see tomorrow..glad to hear if all else fails i can just touch it up. i had thought of this but figured it would stick out, but i guess it wont be noticeable with flat paint. benjamin moore paint was used on all the walls.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #5

Correct not cured yet... 21 days for Beni Moore.

see how it drys... it might be ok... and easy touch-up if you feel the need.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethrneck4 View Post
thank you for the quick reply. i have tried using some baby wipes, didnt work....now ive tried just some soapy water with mild pressure..paint was on the towel when i was done. does this mean the paint hasnt properly cured yet? its been about 2 weeks that the bedroom has been done. i cant tell if the soapy water worked or not as its still a wetspot on the paint. ill see tomorrow..glad to hear if all else fails i can just touch it up. i had thought of this but figured it would stick out, but i guess it wont be noticeable with flat paint. benjamin moore paint was used on all the walls.
Definately too soon to be scrubbing the paint. With a paint job that fresh, and thankfully a quality paint, you can touch it up without any problems.
Use one of the little 4 or 6" rollers. For flat finish, the inexpensive foam ones will work ok.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #7

thanks again for all the responses. well it appears it wasnt cured, even now the wall where i tried to wash with soapy water, is now 2 dark circles, thats havent lightened up at all. glad to hear touchup is at least easy with flat paint. thanks again
Old 03-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,120

Since it wasn't cured yet when you hung things on the walls, have you tried moving any of the hangings to see if they are sticking to the paint?

It may not happen, I'm just wondering.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #9

yeah luckily no paint has come off onto anything ive hung, a few little rub marks here and there behind a few, nothing big.