Cleaning Brick With Muratic Acid /window Wells - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
bsa_bob

Rewards Points: 150

Cleaning brick with muratic acid /window wells

I have 5 brick and concrete and brick, window wells. i want to clean them first, push comes to shove i may replace them with that coragated 1/2 round window well metal.. I can't think of its name? . These wells were built for what reason i don't know, they look abit like bunkers, for the coming surge of the enemy. but i tore one out and had h*** of apile of brick. help any you can i thank you bob s JUST NEVER seen wells done like this before. po was a brickie .

Advertisement

bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa_bob View Post
I have 5 brick and concrete and brick, window wells. i want to clean them first, push comes to shove i may replace them with that coragated 1/2 round window well metal.. I can't think of its name? . These wells were built for what reason i don't know, they look abit like bunkers, for the coming surge of the enemy. but i tore one out and had h*** of apile of brick. help any you can i thank you bob s JUST NEVER seen wells done like this before. po was a brickie .
Window wells are usually put in place because the windows are below ground level and the window wells keep the area around the window free of water and to allow light in.
We have brick window wells around here as well as block capped with brich and the galvanized corrogated variety.
I don't know why you would tear one out though.
Also don't know what you want from the post.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
bsa_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Window wells are usually put in place because the windows are below ground level and the window wells keep the area around the window free of water and to allow light in.
We have brick window wells around here as well as block capped with brich and the galvanized corrogated variety.
I don't know why you would tear one out though.
Also don't know what you want from the post.
Sorry i wander occasuonally. Though i was pretty clear on this one.I want to clean the brick on the inside wall of the window well surround. It has a concrete cap and the walls are smoked up from me burning the leaves that get in them the concrete has turned black and green .. I am at the age where a lot of climbing in and out of them isn't a great idea.The cap has turned a darker color also . and ---------i remember from my construction days the "brickies"[brick layers], used to clean the brick when they were finished. I am looking for a practical way for me to go about this chore. I only remember, they mixed acid with water,the rest is a blur.I was a licensed journeyman plumber at one time! any help i'm listrning and thanks as usual bob s

PS they just need an acid bath but whats the best way to do this My power washer 3000 psi won't touch the grime.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #4

The acid would remove the surface mortar because the acid would react to the components in the mortar. It sounds like you have soot and maybe algea or moss.
You can try the acid. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work. Dilute the acid by pouring it into the water. Don't add the water to the acid.
Wear goggles and long sleeves and have the hose ready if you splash any on yourself. I'd use a stiff bristle brush on a broom handle to distance yourself from the acid.
Did you try a cleaner in the pressure washer?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
bsa_bob

Quote:
The acid would remove the surface mortar because the acid would react to the components in the mortar. It sounds like you have soot and maybe algea or moss.
You can try the acid. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work. Dilute the acid by pouring it into the water. Don't add the water to the acid.
Wear goggles and long sleeves and have the hose ready if you splash any on yourself. I'd use a stiff bristle brush on a broom handle to distance yourself from the acid.
Did you try a cleaner in the pressure washer?

These pessure washers leave a lot to be desired I tried it on my green [moss] covered brick o/s window sills -that washer never touched the moss .!!!
l'll try that long handled brush idea I used to use muratic acid for really dirty plugged or non- working toilets . Muratic acid is the best thing going for that purpose
Old 11-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #6

Quote:
These pessure washers leave a lot to be desired I tried it on my green [moss] covered brick o/s window sills -that washer never touched the moss .!!!
l'll try that long handled brush idea I used to use muratic acid for really dirty plugged or non- working toilets . Muratic acid is the best thing going for that purpose
It sounds like an issue with the powerwasher. Mine will remove paint from a brick. Mine is a Toro, either 3000 or 3500 psi.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,186

I agree with Ron, in that, based on my experiences, I am quite sure my pressure washer would remove everything. That said though, I'm not sure of how aggressive I would want to get with a pressure washer in a window well, if for no other reason that it could be a real pain if you threw a stone into the window. I believe that I would start with regular bleach and water, to see what affect it has on the moss. It seems to me that if you have moss, you quite likely have some other fungal type growth as well, so it might help with the blackened areas as well.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
bsa_bob

Quote:
It sounds like an issue with the powerwasher. Mine will remove paint from a brick. Mine is a Toro, either 3000 or 3500 psi.
thank you Ron and dexter.the problem is probably not the washer its probably a problem with me.the older user again thanks for all your help bob s
Old 11-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #9

Quote:
thank you Ron and dexter.the problem is probably not the washer its probably a problem with me.the older user again thanks for all your help bob s
Operator error has raised it's head more then a few times.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
bsa_bob

Quote:
Operator error has raised it's head more then a few times.
operator error is quite comon around our house, i admit it.but i've never seen a woman admit anything.Oh well shes so great in other areas so i
m not complaining get my drift! bob s

Advertisement