Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,012

City Assessors now want to enter houses

This is something new that my town is starting.
I'm pissed off and think no good can come from letting a lister inside my house. Does anyone know if this is even legal?
I would think they would need a warrant to enter my house.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
This is something new that my town is starting.
I'm pissed off and think no good can come from letting a lister inside my house. Does anyone know if this is even legal?
I would think they would need a warrant to enter my house.
What is the context of the visit?
Remodel with permit, without permit, health issues?

gregzoll (01-16-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
I have gas!

The reason given is home value assessment. They want to look at the inside as well as the outside.
I'm only guessing but if you have a granite kitchen vs. laminated, the value would be upped by a few thousand.

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 01-15-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
The reason is home value assessment. They want to look at the inside as well as the outside.
Got a letter from my town for this too (one state north of you). As far as I can tell it's voluntary, but seems absolutely ridiculous.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,312

Don't let them in.

There are 3 reasons someone can enter your house.
1. You invite them in
2. They have a warrant
3. Emergency....as in a fire or the police think someone is being assaulted in your house.

I'm willing to bet the inside inspection would not stand up in court. In most counties, the only way they can get a warrant is if the county/city can show a significant health hazard.

No way in hell will an assessor walk in my house.

I would start looking into kickbacks from the company doing the inspections to the city govt

The whole thing stinks

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Clutchcargo (01-15-2014), gma2rjc (01-15-2014), oh'mike (01-15-2014), rossfingal (01-15-2014), ToolSeeker (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,064

Wow, never heard of something like this. In 40 years of owning houses, no assessor (I'm assuming that's what a "lister" is) has ever been inside any of them. If you ask about it, I'm guessing you'll be told the city is "updating its property records" or something like that. Translation: they're looking for ways to raise your taxes.

In theory, as long as you haven't finished a basement or done some other improvement like that without getting a permit, there shouldn't be a problem. But, on the other hand, I'd have an issue with this just in principle. I'd politely decline to let them in and see what happens.

A warrant is legal authorization for law enforcement to search a defined location for evidence of a specific crime, and would be issued only after convincing a judge that there is probable cause to believe that criminal activity is, or has been, taking place. Obtaining one should have nothing to do with this situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
I have gas!

All my work is permitted and I'm not trying to hide anything but I do have an issue with this in principle.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,002

What the heck is a "Lister"?!?
Around here the "tax assessors" look at the "foot-print" of the
structure -
Not the inside.
Sounds like a "money" grab!

Are they building inspectors from a municipality?

If possible -
don't let them in!!!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #9

I iwish I hadn't thrown out the little notecard letter they had sent. It was from the Town Assessor's office, and said that they had had someone look at the footprint of the home, and that they wanted to inspect the interior at the earliest convenience. They justified it by saying something like "to avoid a potential large tax change in the future" or something that made ZERO sense. Pure nonsense.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,312

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
I iwish I hadn't thrown out the little notecard letter they had sent. It was from the Town Assessor's office, and said that they had had someone look at the footprint of the home, and that they wanted to inspect the interior at the earliest convenience. They justified it by saying something like "to avoid a potential large tax change in the future" or something that made ZERO sense. Pure nonsense.
No....PURE effort to justify more taxes. I see it as double dipping....you already pay sales tax....why should they tax what is in your home?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 01-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #11
I have gas!

Medford Real Property Inspection Program

Posted on January 13, 2014
Representatives from Vision Government Solutions of Northborough, Mass., a firm hired by the City of Medford, will perform a City-wide property inspection program that is required by the Bureau of Local Assessment of the Department of Revenue. These inspections will be ongoing and take approximately 24 months to complete.

The data collectors or “Listers” will carry photo identification. A description of their cars and license plate numbers will be on file with the Medford Police Department and the Assessor’s Office. The Assessor’s Office suggests that property owners request identification before granting anyone permission to enter your home or business.

During this process Listers will visit residential, commercial, and industrial properties to physically measure a building’s exterior and do an inspection of the interior. Building characteristics such as size, age, quality of construction, construction materials, improvements, story height and condition are noted. To ensure a home or business is inspected, a homeowner or company representative will be asked to sign a property record card to verify the inspection. The entire process takes approximately 15-30 minutes.

The Assessor’s Office appreciates your cooperation and assistance with this procedure. Listers generally work between 8 AM and 6 PM Monday through Friday. There will be an initial attempt to enter a property; if no one is at the home or business on that occasion a letter will be sent to homeowners and business owners to call and schedule an appointment at his/her convenience.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 616

There wording is purposely shady to try to trick people into agreeing. I don't see how they could legally enter your home just for assessment purposes. I like how they write that it is "is required by the Bureau of Local Assessment of the Department of Revenue". Please update us on the situation. I predict a sh**storm abrewin'.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikegp For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,002

Schedule the appointment for Jan. 33rd - 2050!
(That's the only time when access, is possible!)
Thanks!

(What "mikegp" says, too!)
The Following User Says Thank You to rossfingal For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
No....PURE effort to justify more taxes. I see it as double dipping....you already pay sales tax....why should they tax what is in your home?
Well, of course that's their REAL motivation, I just meant the explanation was pure nonsense

I live in NH, we don't pay sales tax. Or income tax. Just property, really (and vehicles, and meals).
Old 01-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 616

Quick google came up with someone saying this:

Quote:
Tax laws vary by state. Some states give the local assessor the right to enter your private property, while others do not. Even in the states where the tax allows it, most assessors will ask for permission and honor anyone's refusal to let them enter the property. You should, however take safety precautions and ask for a picture identification and even call the assessment office to ask if they know that this specific person is there and if he or she should be in that neighborhood on that day.
Not sure how true it is.

Closed Thread