Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Buggs

Share |
Question

Chipping old paint from interior of house

I just bought an old fixer-upper. It has some sheet rock, but 90% of the interior is plaster. The house is about 55 years old. It is concrete block frame. I have scraped with a putty knife all that I can get, but clearly the more I chip away, the more still becomes loose. Most of the house is rough plaster and that's no problem. There is no peeling there. The kitchen is smooth and the peeling and chips seem to never end. Any advice on how to get this room ready for painting?

Buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
Electrician

Without actually seeing it, it's hard to say all the possibilities available. Sounds like the plaster might be deteriating from years of chemicals and grease, etc. found in a kitchen?? Have you considered covering with paneling? Some are even paintable. Or with drywall??

SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Buggs

I had a man who does a lot of flipping of old houses come and look at it and he said it was chipped enough and that I should skim it. That's probably what I'll do. Thanks for your response and your suggestions.
Buggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, paint, plaster, remodeling, scraping