Chimney Liner - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

chimney liner

Anyone have sugesstions on installing this one. My woodstove exhaust is 8in. my flue is 7in square clay lined. I'm trying to put a 6in. round liner in.and it only goes 6ft. The chimney is20 ft straight down the flex liner is hitting the clay liner joints that have offset about the thickness of the tile(looks to be about half an inch) as the house is 1oo years old plus. I've had a pulling cone on with me pushing and someone else at the bottom pulling still no luck. Will I have to open up the chimney in the attic to break the clay liner or is there another way.

Advertisement

schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

chimney liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by schu View Post
Anyone have sugesstions on installing this one. My woodstove exhaust is 8in. my flue is 7in square clay lined. I'm trying to put a 6in. round liner in.and it only goes 6ft. The chimney is20 ft straight down the flex liner is hitting the clay liner joints that have offset about the thickness of the tile(looks to be about half an inch) as the house is 1oo years old plus. I've had a pulling cone on with me pushing and someone else at the bottom pulling still no luck. Will I have to open up the chimney in the attic to break the clay liner or is there another way.
try taking a long piece of threaded pipe like a 20 foot piece of black pipe or something simular and using it as a hammer to knock the mortar joints out of the way

Advertisement

kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:32 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,704

chimney liner

Might want to check code.

Code generally requires the liner to be the same size as the furnace/stoves breech.

And 8" SS/All Fuel liners are expensive.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:14 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

chimney liner

Companies that do this for a living, open the base of the chimney as a debris cleanout. Then they attach an iron plate with an offset hole to a rod. They attach it to a drill and spin the plate inside the chimney. The plate hits the liner and breaks it up sending the pieces to the bottom. It took two guys about 2 hours to open take out the liner.
The rods they used were chimney cleaning 4' sections they added to as needed. The drill was a 1/2" Milwaukee.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:33 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

chimney liner

Additionally, Most towns require that this all go through the local building dept. due to the Safety aspects of it all.

In our main State of operation, they now require that contractors have a "specialty license" for any such work (since 7/1/2008).
Old 11-19-2008, 09:17 AM   #6

chimney liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Additionally, Most towns require that this all go through the local building dept. due to the Safety aspects of it all.

In our main State of operation, they now require that contractors have a "specialty license" for any such work (since 7/1/2008).
Which part of this would require a permit? The removal of the old clay liner or just an addition of a flexible stainless steel liner?
In Nassau County NY, the Plumbing Inspector required me to insert a SS liner when I converted from oil to gas. I just put it in and he inspected it.
The plumber had a plumbing permit, but he didn't install the liner.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

chimney liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Which part of this would require a permit? The removal of the old clay liner or just an addition of a flexible stainless steel liner?
In Nassau County NY, the Plumbing Inspector required me to insert a SS liner when I converted from oil to gas. I just put it in and he inspected it.
The plumber had a plumbing permit, but he didn't install the liner.
Ron
The installation of the liner and the hook up "may" require a permit, or review by the building dept - based on regional requirements.

Example: I live in a small town in NH that doesn't have sewer or trash pick up, but an installation of a SS liner requires review by the town building dept. (Which is only open on Thursday afternoons/evenings)
Old 11-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

chimney liner

An 8 inch round on the furnace = 50 sq/in
your flue is 7x7 sq =50sq/in
a 6 inch liner is = 30 sq/in
Check code on a tile lined flue for wood.

Advertisement

1610 CUB is offline   Reply With Quote