Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Change your clocks, AND Your Smoke Alarm Batteries!!

Hey guys, Forum Public service announcement.

Just kidding, But really, Don't forget to change your Smoke Alarm Batteries
along with the clocks. Rule of thumb we say is change them when you change the clocks twice a year.
Also change your Carbon Monozide Alarm Batteries! ( IF you have any GAS appliances )

If you don't have any Smoke Alarms (Aka Detectors) then contact your
local Fire dept and it's possible they have a program like we do.
They ( Like we do ) will install at least one Smoke Alarm in your home.
You WILL NOT wake up from the smoke at first. It's the #1 killer in house fires.

If you can afford it, (How can you put a price on your life)
You want a Smoke Alarm inside each Bedroom, (and even outside each bedroom) In each Hallway, and rooms including the living room, Dens, The Garage Esp. This is where a lot of House fires start.
On the ceiling, One foot away from wall/other.

I even have one in the attic and basement, We fight plenty of Attic fires as plenty of wiring and appliances are placed in those places.

New ones ( Smoke Alarms) also have a sensor when it detects another going off, it will go off so they all go off. Even better to have.

Just a few months ago, Christas 2012 we had a firefighter at work, and a Structure Fire was alarmed, and it was his home. His wifes vehicle cought fire and burnt the house down.
Luckily his wife and kids got out because of the dogs going crazy and she thought someone was trying to break in. Nope... Fire.
Anyway, We fought 9 working structure fires and in one of those fires,
as we arrived one woman was beating on a window, (got her out) and her husband was found at a window. Didn't make it because they didn't have smoke alarms.
Also lost the pets.... She was lucky enough to make it, But lost the rest of her family and dogs/cats.

Change the batteries!

Enjoy the extra Hour of daylight!

Edit: If your smoke alarms are older than 10 years, Replace them. New ones are so much better at detecting smoke etc....

Last edited by Firefighter3244; 03-09-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Firefighter3244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firefighter3244 For This Useful Post:
creeper (03-10-2013), kwikfishron (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

great edit as well. I changed all the alarms in my house this year. opted for ones with a light as well.

dont forget CO detectors too.

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Thanks, very good post.
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #4

If I could hijack this for a related cause...

Hey, smoke alarm manufacturers! Make one with a wired remote that you could mount on the wall for people who shouldn't be standing on ladders trying to look up to silence a false alarm or to test it. The remote control ones currently work with a TV remote, but you have to remember it and which button to press and for how long to hold the button and they could interfere with compact fluorescent bulbs and be triggered when you're trying to change channels or the volume. Charge whatever crazy custom mod price you want, just make it available and I'd buy it for my father.
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
If I could hijack this for a related cause...

Hey, smoke alarm manufacturers! Make one with a wired remote that you could mount on the wall for people who shouldn't be standing on ladders trying to look up to silence a false alarm or to test it. The remote control ones currently work with a TV remote, but you have to remember it and which button to press and for how long to hold the button and they could interfere with compact fluorescent bulbs and be triggered when you're trying to change channels or the volume. Charge whatever crazy custom mod price you want, just make it available and I'd buy it for my father.
How about a wireless one like the same technology used in the wireless dimmers
mech_gui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:51 AM   #6

I don't know how that would work but I'd assume it's better than the TV remote ones and I'd buy it.
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #7

By the way guys, Please read and watch

Here is a good option. DUAL SENSOR Alarms... Targets Online price under $20. Not sure if it's the best price, But pretty good for DUAL SENSOR
http://www.target.com/p/first-alert-...i_sku=11134888

Here is some Information for you guys to purchase the best ones. I wouldn't get costly
but you do want DUAL SENSOR Smoke detectors.

Some info.

http://www.consumersearch.com/smoke-...moke-detectors

Quote:
Many less costly smoke detectors are single-sensor models that use either ionization sensing, such as the First Alert SA340CN (*Est. $20), or photoelectric sensing, like the First Alert SA710CN (*Est. $17). In testing, inexpensive ionization alarms do a good job of sensing high-flaming fires, but perform poorly on smoky fires. On the other hand, a photoelectric smoke detector excels at detecting slow, smoldering fires, but not as well with fast, flaming fires. Experts say that if you do not use a combination smoke detector, you should hang both ionization and photoelectric units.
Quote:
An even better choice is a dual-detection smoke alarm, which features photoelectric and ionization technology. Purchasing one dual-sensor alarm as opposed to two single-sensor detectors can add up to some cost savings.

I know I sound like Im *****ing, But here is why you want Dual sensor. Because she bought the cheapest ones, (NOTE: It's not her fault, She wasn't Educated enough) she lot her children.

Personally, If you can hard wire them together, that is the #1 Best thing to do. So all go off and not just one, closest to the fire. This can make a big difference.
And a house fire starts about every 83 seconds according to consumer reports.

Heres ABC reports

PLEASE WATCH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMJEz...layer_embedded
Old 03-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
registered

Rewards Points: 508

I didn't know this until i click on my yahoo news page and it said turn clock ahead this morning.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

WOW!!

Thanks Firefighter for the eye opener. I had no idea. Apparently neither did the lab guy in the white coat..

Halfway through the video I was determined to change out my alarms, but now I realize I just need to add the photoelectric ones.

Excellent post and thanks
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #10

No problem. If you have Ion ones, true you can add photoelectric ones. But you'll be changing out twice as many batteries since you'll have both kinds.
Target online sells the dual sensor units for under $20. If you can afford it, I'd go with those for sure.
http://www.target.com/p/first-alert-...i_sku=11134888
Old 03-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

luckily?? (I think) Target just came to Canada, although none around where I live. At any rate I will find them somewhere I'm sure.

Thx again

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote