Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #1

Share |

Change Orders

Hello to all. My name is Patty A. and I work for a home builder. We have started to offer the future home buyers the opportunity to make changes and add to their future home. But my question is how can the foreman and us in the office take control of "change orders" with out making mistakes. Example: a change order was submitted on a home to have oval sinks installed instead of the original ones we offer, foreman was given the change order and he signed it out, but the oval sinks were not installed, the original sinks were. How can we improve or make it easy for the foreman to control 'Change Orders" And stop making mistakes and costing us money?

Help

Last edited by ELVISQUEEN; 09-15-2011 at 10:54 AM.
ELVISQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Change Orders

You are in the wrong forum, this is a DIY site, you sound like you need business assistance, or maybe the contractor forum? Now if you wanted to know how to jackhammer the offending sink into the next galaxy, there are probably lots of people on this site who would be pleased to discuss that problem at length.....

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
Leah Frances (09-15-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
Mod

Change Orders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVISQUEEN View Post
Hello to all. My name is Patty A. and I work for a home builder. We have started to offer the future home buyers the opportunity to make changes and add to their future home. But my question is how can the foreman and us in the office take control of "change orders" with out making mistakes. Example: a change order was submitted on a home to have oval sinks installed instead of the original ones we offer, foreman was given the change order and he signed it out, but the oval sinks were not installed, the original sinks were. How can we improve or make it easy for the foreman to control 'Change Orders" And stop making mistakes and costing us money?

Help
Communicate.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-15-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Tileguy

Change Orders

Sounds as if there may be plenty of guilt to go around. Somebody isn't paying attention.

For instance in your example:
How did the original (wrong sinks) get ordered?
Further more...How is it they were received on the job and the error not noticed?
How did they get installed and the error not noticed?

Plenty of people were involved apparently in this comedy of errors.

Sounds like one individual should be assigned the task of monitoring all change orders and following through by seeing to it that all involved receive the necessary information.

In-house communication is the key in any business.

There that's worth what you paid for it, DIY Forum or not.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #5

Change Orders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVISQUEEN View Post

Help
Hiring competant help who organize more then their fingers around a can of beer might be a start. Stupid people cost money in all industries. If you can't train the monkey you have, get a new monkey.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
DIY staff

Change Orders

If the foreman knew about the change ---and told the office---and the office sent the order to the plumber---then the plumber must pay for his mistake.

An the foreman gets called out in the carpet for not checking on the plumber as the mistake was being made.

Who forgot to tell the plumber?
Old 09-16-2011, 11:53 PM   #7

Change Orders

Change foreman.

DIY or have the boss.
Welcome to the forum---- (DIYCHATROOM)

Gary