DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   Chainlink Fence? Can it be raised with ripping out? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/chainlink-fence-can-raised-ripping-out-102120/)

Evil Scotsman 04-19-2011 03:34 PM

Chainlink Fence? Can it be raised with ripping out?
 
I have a 4 foot chain link fence, are there adapters or couplers or ???? that I could raise it 2 feet without tearing out the poles and replacing them? I realize I would have to replace the fencing!
Thanks

Thurman 04-19-2011 05:45 PM

From what I read, you want to make your present four foot (4') chain link fence into a new six foot (6') chain link fence--correct? If this is so: YES, there are extensions to add to your current line and corner post to raise this to a six foot fencing height. They will slip over your current post and are secured with allen type screws. But they are not available at any apron store. They will be found only at a fencing installation center. Some of these will not want to sell these to you, some really do not care what you do with them as long as you pay for them. And YES, you will have to change your present four foot fencing for the new six foot fencing, doing all the installation process all over again. The placement of the material, the proper stretching, the tying off, all of that. Good Luck

joey1320 04-20-2011 10:44 PM

Not sure where you are located but in my area any fence higher than 4' must be 4' away from the sidewalk. I just built my 6' fence and I was glad I learned that before hand.

And as the previous poster said, there are adapters available to increase the height of the chain-link fence.

Good luck!

Evil Scotsman 04-21-2011 08:13 AM

Thank You all for your input! Didn't know about the 4' back!!! For living in a MAJOR city AND WORKING for the City, you would be surprised how LITTLE information I can find. The main reason for the higher fence is we bought a 4' deep pool and are concerned about the kids in the neighborhood climbing the fence and getting into pool (possibly hurt main reason).

joey1320 04-21-2011 08:27 AM

Yeah, we have a 6' fence around our backyard and we wanted to expand it. Unfortunately we were not able to do so since my boxer pup will jump over a 4' fence with no problems. Another thing I didn't know, our city doesn't allow any new builds with chain link fences, they are not "appealing" to the eye apparently. Also if the fence goes all the way to the sidewalk it must be 50% opened. This is in Cleveland, Oh.

Ron6519 04-21-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Scotsman (Post 633709)
Thank You all for your input! Didn't know about the 4' back!!! For living in a MAJOR city AND WORKING for the City, you would be surprised how LITTLE information I can find. The main reason for the higher fence is we bought a 4' deep pool and are concerned about the kids in the neighborhood climbing the fence and getting into pool (possibly hurt main reason).

They're kids. A 6 ft fence will not stop teenagers on a hot Summers day when you're not home.
It will stop the under 10's though.
Ron

Evil Scotsman 04-21-2011 08:32 AM

Ron you are SO RIGHT! If they want in they will get in!! LOL (I know we did! public pool not private lol) An HONESTLY I really don't think we would HAVE TO WORRY about, it is a pretty good neighborhood! But just trying to CYA!

DrHicks 04-21-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Scotsman (Post 632581)
I have a 4 foot chain link fence, are there adapters or couplers or ???? that I could raise it 2 feet without tearing out the poles and replacing them? I realize I would have to replace the fencing!
Thanks

If you're talking about pulling the posts/poles 2 feet further out of the ground, no. That won't work - and for several reasons. You could figure out a way to splice another 2 feet on top of each pole, but I really don't see that being practical.

Honestly, I think a 6' cedar privacy fence would be the better way to go, but know that's probably not in the budget.

Evil Scotsman 04-21-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHicks (Post 633723)
If you're talking about pulling the posts/poles 2 feet further out of the ground, no. That won't work - and for several reasons. You could figure out a way to splice another 2 feet on top of each pole, but I really don't see that being practical.

Honestly, I think a 6' cedar privacy fence would be the better way to go, but know that's probably not in the budget.

Not thinking about pulling them 2 feet from the ground, just extending them 2ft ON TOP of what is existing.

Ron6519 04-21-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Scotsman (Post 633729)
Not thinking about pulling them 2 feet from the ground, just extending them 2ft ON TOP of what is existing.

The apron stores sell couplings you can just attach to the top of your current poles. Then cut your extensions and put them on top.
Ron

Leah Frances 04-21-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Scotsman (Post 633709)
Thank You all for your input! Didn't know about the 4' back!!! For living in a MAJOR city AND WORKING for the City, you would be surprised how LITTLE information I can find. The main reason for the higher fence is we bought a 4' deep pool and are concerned about the kids in the neighborhood climbing the fence and getting into pool (possibly hurt main reason).

I spent the summers of age 9-12 in my neighbors pool (with permission). We got there by climbing the 8 foot fence between our yards. :laughing:

Unless you are required to raise the fence for the pool, I would save the time and effort and $$$. If kids are going to climb it, they will whether it's four or six feet.

Ironlight 04-21-2011 08:57 AM

That's another reason to build a privacy fence. What they can't see into they'll be much less likely to try and enter. Yes they'll figure out you have a pool there, but they'll be less inclinded to hop the fence if they can't see if someone is home or not.

DrHicks 04-21-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah Frances (Post 633733)
I spent the summers of age 9-12 in my neighbors pool (with permission). We got there by climbing the 8 foot fence between our yards. :laughing:

Maybe the Evil Scotsman needs to step up his game a notch.
http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI...1672R-3865.jpg

Evil Scotsman 04-21-2011 08:59 AM

That is what I am looking for! Someone else suggested going to a fence store! Doesn't matter to me either way! haha But last night the warden was actually talking about "GETTING RID OF THAT UGLY CHAINLINK FENCE"! I think SHE has a ecasheius aboritive (MONEY TREE) somewhere that I DON'T know about! :laughing: She is now saying scalloped vinyl!

http://www.diychatroom.com/[IMG]http...e8da7b_300.jpg[/IMG]

Evil Scotsman 04-21-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHicks (Post 633740)
Maybe the Evil Scotsman needs to step up his game a notch.
http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI...1672R-3865.jpg

The neighborhood I am in NOW this WOULD WORK!!! LOL


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.