Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Lord of Slums

Share |

Chain link gate accross driveway

I need to set two 5 foot chain link gates across a driveway. I want to set metal posts in concrete. Total span will be ten feet, joined in the middle with some sort of latch. What size metal post should I use on the ends to support the wait of the gate, how big of hole should I drill into concrete? Should I rent some sort of hammer drill and bit for 70 bucks, or should I buy a Bosch hammer drill and make a bunch of small holes and punch out the hole that way? Any tips? Never done this before.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Usually you have one gate, with a steel 1/2" rod bent as a L, so that you can lift it up to move that one gate. This way the rod will hold the two sections in place, without them moving around. If you place a post in the middle, then you have to pull it out, after lifting the gate latches, to open.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #3

A 5' gate is not heavy unless fabricated by a Pro with Sch 40 pipe. A 2 1/2" x 7' gate post with cap will do. If you are of the mind set "Bigger is Better", use a schedule 40 gate post. Drilled hole should be twice the diameter of the post and beveled larger toward the bottom of the hole. Set the bottom of the post in the soil, about 2" in to allow for drainage of moisture. Set the post to allow desired ground clearance plus a little reveal above the gate. I don't know what hardware you are using to hang and couple the gates. Lay them out on the ground as if closed and measure distance to inside edge of gate post hinge. Add 2 1/2" to this and this should be your center distance for the holes. Closer is forgiving, wider is not. Pay close attention to level when pouring concrete. Don't be in a hurry. Let the concrete set over night. Quick setting concrete is available if need be.
If you have future use for a hammer drill, by all means by one. It is nice to have when drilling concrete for other projects.
Johnmcm1 is offline   Reply With Quote