Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #1

Share |
Question

ceramic tile countertop

Hi We are attempting to install a new kitchen for my daughter. We have a large supply of 4"white glossy ceramic tile. We need to change the color of the tile. I have read many sights that suggest roughing up the glossy tile and applying oil base primer and oil base paint. I also want to seal the tile/grout. Is there anything that is SAFE. Something eco-friendly would be nice, but it is a kitchen countertop and will come in contact with food. So in the event it passes to the food, I want to keep her safe. Thanks
Patty Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

ceramic tile countertop

the paint you suggested will not work. Epoxy paints will work but must be sprayed and would not be considered eco-friendly. You can by good eco-friendly coatings from hawk-labs.com but these are not that DiY friendly
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Mariani For This Useful Post:
Patty Martinez (04-06-2010)
Old 04-07-2010, 01:29 AM   #3

ceramic tile countertop

I'm just a DIY guy, but I've never heard of anything to paint tile. Sell 'em and buy the color you want, or go w/ another material. Piece of mind is likely more refreshing than the money you're saving by using the tile you don't want. No?
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
Patty Martinez (04-07-2010)
Old 04-07-2010, 01:34 AM   #4

ceramic tile countertop

have you considered buying a closeout of a style you like? today for example i bought 100 4x4 travertine look a like ceramic tiles for 34 cents each at lowes. looking around your area for closeouts might be nearly the same cost as painting what you have. it would be less work and most likely more rugged.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to racebum For This Useful Post:
Patty Martinez (04-07-2010)
Old 04-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
DIY staff

ceramic tile countertop

Seriously consider using an epoxy grout--They are completely stain resistant and safe around food.

Like others have said--Buy a tile that you like--I'd suggest a larger tile--easier to clean--less grout.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #6

ceramic tile countertop

Forget painting the tiles since the glaze is baked on. Eventually, the paint will peel and get into any food products placed on the counter. It will also look terrible. Counters are a long lasting project so do it correctly the first time.

Tags
ceramic tile, kitchen tile, repainting ceramic tile, safe sealant, sealant