Central Vaccum Problems - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2007, 11:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Central Vaccum Problems

Anyone know knowledgeable about central vacs? My wife was using ours the other day and it made a noise, not good sounding and smoke came from the motor area. Now it doesn't sound right at all when turned on. Is the motor shot?

Advertisement

jerome8283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #2
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

Central Vaccum Problems

Could be a burnt motor winding or bearings... I would check the filter, then the motor.. Might be something wrapped around the motor thats seizing it up.
Most arent too bad to replace.

Advertisement

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #3

Central Vaccum Problems

ok here's a better description of the problem and current status..

When I turn the unit on it sounds like a blender, as if something is caught up in the motor. I get no suction at all. Today I opened the unit up to inspect it. The main filter was very dirty and the small filter just before the motor was clogged. I cleaned everything up and blew a little dust out of the motor. This didn't make a difference. The motor sounded the same.

At this point I was convinced the motor was shot so I took it to my local Aerus Electrolux store. The Service Manager told me the motor was shot. His cost to replace the motor was $250(motor) + $50(labor). He tried to sell me a new vacuum for $699.99. His reasoning was the replacement motor would only have a 1yr warranty and the new vacuum would have a 5yr warranty. But my reasoning said, $300 is too much for the motor and I don't need a new $700 vacuum. I've seen the motors online from $150 - $250. Although I've seen the motors online I'm not sure which sites are reputable? Can someone recommend some?
Old 06-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
Eibwen

Central Vaccum Problems

Is the unit made by Electrolux?

If not, may be able to find a motor elsewhere but I'm not sure on any web sites.

I have a 30 year old Electrolux canister and they are known for thier quality, but pricey.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:21 PM   #5

Central Vaccum Problems

It's an Electrolux 1590, central vac
Old 06-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
Eibwen

Central Vaccum Problems

Hmmm..

The only other thing I could suggest is check and see if there is an ADI alarm distributor in your area. They may have a sub for the motor. Or maybe check the motor for a nameplate.. Maybe somebody else made it for Electrolux.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
registered

Rewards Points: 526

Central Vaccum Problems

I personally think that 300 isn't bad. About a year ago i brought my upright electrolux vac into them they charged me like 90.00 to get it running again something about the cord. I would pay the 300 but definately wouldn't let him shake me down for a new unit. What probably happened was this. You weren't taking care of that thing the way you were suppose to. You should have made a point every couple of weeks to clean the filters. They got so clogged that the motor had to work harder then usual thereby burning the motor up. My upright i like because it has the drop in bag i don't care for those new uprights which have the filter and the canister you empty. Pay the 300 and be done with it. Unless you could find a motor online somewhere cheap and then pay a electrician 50 to install.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:10 PM   #8

Central Vaccum Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
I personally think that 300 isn't bad. About a year ago i brought my upright electrolux vac into them they charged me like 90.00 to get it running again something about the cord. I would pay the 300 but definately wouldn't let him shake me down for a new unit. What probably happened was this. You weren't taking care of that thing the way you were suppose to. You should have made a point every couple of weeks to clean the filters. They got so clogged that the motor had to work harder then usual thereby burning the motor up. My upright i like because it has the drop in bag i don't care for those new uprights which have the filter and the canister you empty. Pay the 300 and be done with it. Unless you could find a motor online somewhere cheap and then pay a electrician 50 to install.
Your right about me not cleaning the filter but, I'm not sure I want to pay $300 when I see the motor online for half that. I can install the motor myself.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:05 AM   #9
registered

Rewards Points: 526

Central Vaccum Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post
Your right about me not cleaning the filter but, I'm not sure I want to pay $300 when I see the motor online for half that. I can install the motor myself.
By all means by that motor online and install it yourself if you can save money
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:30 PM   #10

Central Vaccum Problems

I took delivery on my Lamb Central Vacuum Motor today. The install took me 16mins. Works like a charm!

I only paid $144 bucks for the motor!

Here's the site: http://builtinvacuum.com/products_home.html

Advertisement