Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 596

Central Vac System - Worth It To Restore?

I am remodeling a 4 bed 4 bath home and there is a central vac system in place. Been there for over 40 years.

The vac unit itself is a Nutone model 350. It has 2" PVC pipe criss crossing all over in the attic with 12 "inlets". It has low voltage wires running along each pipe.

The problem is that each of the inlet needs to be replaced. Some of the older plastic inlets were broken during demolition.

I am just wondering if it is worth it to restore these inlets and the vac system itself. Is it still a valuable component of a modern home, or not?

In talking to some, some seem to think it adds value, but practically, not many want to carry around a large coil of pipes that may be heavier than today's easy rolling Dyson ball.

Last edited by miamicuse; 06-19-2012 at 07:16 PM.
miamicuse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Personally, I love a central vac. Granted its a pain to carry the hose around, but so is carrying any unit. I've never used a Dyson, but My Nelfisk system is very powerful. Plus you can use it on the car.

Thats my vote

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 618

A central vac is the way to go and I believe it adds value to the home.

If the one in the house has 12 inlets, I would examine it and probably reconfigure it.

I like to have the collection in the basement, even with an attached garage, because then everything is going down. I also think it is nice to exhaust the unit outdoors.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
A central vac is the way to go and I believe it adds value to the home.

If the one in the house has 12 inlets, I would examine it and probably reconfigure it.

I like to have the collection in the basement, even with an attached garage, because then everything is going down. I also think it is nice to exhaust the unit outdoors.
Since I am in South Florida we don't have basements due to high water table.

My collection unit is in the garage, right now the exhaust goes into the open attic. I can easily cut a hole in the exterior wall and exhaust outside...
Old 06-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #5

Be sure to vent the exhaust away from the neighbors. It does echo between buildings. I have used ours since '89 after installing it, love it! No dust in the air recirculating from a bag, no noise pollution inside, great resale - a plus....

Gary
Old 06-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

They strike me as one more household system requiring maintenance and most of my clients seem to want higher end cyclonic Dysons or very expensive Miele systems. All with HEPA filtration (that I suspect newer central vacs have?). Darn things are probably more expensive than installing a central system! But little FiFI or FooFoo deserve to have their pet hair vacuumed with a designer label machine!

From a technology standpoint central vac systems sort of resonate the way central intercom systems do. They had their day and it has passed. There is, of course, nothing wrong with either technology save for lack of current wow factor.

Of course I honestly did not see many central vacs as they are not commonly asked for in historic home restorations.

I guess if one was already in place I would take the time and spend the money to restore it to working order. I am not sure I would push a client to install a new system. I guess the real estate folks can better answer the question of whether they remain selling features. A central system would not sway me one way or the other buying a property.

Last edited by user1007; 06-20-2012 at 08:05 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #7

It's already in place.

The home is a 4 bedroom, 1 living room, 1 dinning room, 1 kitchen, 1 family room, 1 garage. There is a lot of this 2" pipe going around in the attic, and one inlet in every bedroom, and in some large rooms, there is one on opposing sides of the room.

Basically, the existing inlets are shot. They have been painted over at some point, some of the plastic lids are cracked, demolition of sheet rock did additional damages, I don't even have the right parts and accessories to test if the LV wirings still work.

All I have is the existing network of 2" pipes going everywhere. I have a power unit that works, but 40 years old. I have no clue if any pipes is leaking or broken, I didn't check each section in the attic.

I am estimating to restore it I would need to get twelve new inlets. I might need to get a new power unit or have the existing one looked at, not sure what filter it uses. All I know is if I turn on the power it runs. I might need to do some mending here and there of pipes, and I will probably run into some LV wires being disconnected or pulled apart somewhere. If I want to get fancy I might install "dust pans" instead of inlets in some areas. Of course, the new accessories and everything.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

We did a renovation and kept our central vac system. We were going to add one of the floor sweeper outlets in our kitchen until we were told about the VROOM. Put one in a kitchen cabinet and use it all the time. It is a fantastic addition.

http://www.vroomyourroom.com/

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

I had one of those dust pans on the central vac in my previous home. Hated it. We were always kicking it on by mistake, and we never actually used the feature.

I put a system in my current home, and would/will do so in any future home.