Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Cement only floor? Will I have problems?

Howdy.

My neighbor and I just poured a new floor in the basement, using only portland cement. I'm a newb so I didn't ask questions. Is there going to be a problem with the floor if only cement was used rather than concrete?

I can't find anywhere where someone has used cement only to pour a finished floor.

Will this take longer to set? Will this collapse? Will this take thinset for tile?

Need some help kinda quick if anyone knows these answers.

Thanks

Brokefoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:54 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 10

Was he trying to top an existing slab? - Then it is wrong since it should have some sand and additives.

Was the cement mixed with sand and rock? - That is concrete and would be good for a slab.

If not, it must have been very expensive and a lot of work if it was a complete new floor.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
mason

Cement is the powder you mix with aggregate and fines (sand) to make concrete. Its not concrete until its mixed with water.

Now, if you just added water to a bag of Portland cement without any aggregates or fines, then yes, you will have problems.

Like concretemasonry asked, is this a new slab or over an existing? Either way you might want to start over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokefoot2 View Post
Howdy.

My neighbor and I just poured a new floor in the basement, using only portland cement. I'm a newb so I didn't ask questions. Is there going to be a problem with the floor if only cement was used rather than concrete?

I can't find anywhere where someone has used cement only to pour a finished floor.

Will this take longer to set? Will this collapse? Will this take thinset for tile?

Need some help kinda quick if anyone knows these answers.

Thanks
6stringmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:31 PM   #4

yah these were just bags of Portland Cement, no gravel or sand, it's not concrete.

My neighbor's telling me it may not be as strong as concrete but it's nothing to worry about. Here's the details:

The previous owners had an addition put on the house, and a semi-foundation was installed ( not a full foundation, only 4 feet or so into the ground. No floor was poured. There was a steel/wood frame installed with plywood as the flooring. With the backfill under that for 30 years some of the frame rotted. I pulled up the plywood, replaced the rotted frame and put new 3/4" plywood on, then thinset and then 1/2" durock. The floor was somewhat unlevel and we had a sump area to level up to, concretewise, so rather than use 600.00 worth of leveler we poured pure cement at the lowest point to bring it up to 1/8" from the highest point. Then we were to use leveler to smooth the whole thing out.

So what problems will I encounter with pure cement? It's too late now to crack it all up and start over. I was planning on putting quarry tile over the whole thing, already bought that as well.

Is all my tile gonna crack now?

Also, what would be a sound method of mudding durock and drywall together? I have some areas that are durock walled and will but up to greenboard. Looking for the best thing to seam the two together with.

I know, this is screwed up from jump, but we had to use durock from the floor up 3 feet in the now unlikely event we get water in the room.

I took the cheapest and risky was out I guess
Brokefoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:09 PM   #5

So you're saying you put wood in a dirt hole, topped it with a layer of plywood and a layer of cement board? And now you want to tile it.
This won't work at all. The cement issue aside. There is no way tile will stay put with this structure. Sorry
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote