Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #1

Share |

cellar door hinges with safe, controlled hinges

I am fitting a loft hatch door (approx 1m x 1m x 18mm reinforced ply). This cellar type door has a set of stairs underneath it for access in and out of the loft. In essence this cellar door when closed is also part of the floor in the loft.

I'd like to try and ensure this door in the floor can be as safe and as controlled as possible when opening and closing. It is opened when walking up the stairs and closed on your way back down the stairs.

Please can someone help me. I need advice as to what are the best type of hinge mechansim for such a door. I'd prefer a butt hinge approach if possible and have looked at sprung butt hinges online but cannott figure out if these are suitable? Any advice very much appreciated.

Cheerrs
Graeme

graeme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... I'd think counter weights,+ pulleys, or gas struts would work...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #3

If you will be walking on the door, when its closed, it will have to be built strongly! This means it will be heavy.
As previously mentioned, ropes, pulleys and counter weights may be the answer.
Another option would be an electrically operated winch.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #4

I need to get in on this conversation as I really need to make one of these I have a spiral staircase going to the cellar now and no other way down there. If something goes wrong with the furnace. I live in a 1700 house and want / need to install a straight set of stairs under a hatch. it is the best and cheapest solution for me since this cellar is only good for storage any how. I have seen some pics on the net I get how to do the stairs part. it's the hatch part I am stumped on. i see them for sale for a few thousand but who has that kind of that cash when I have a entire kitchen that still needs renovating. Please someone have mercy and explain this part to me. Thanks
handyran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyran View Post
I need to get in on this conversation as I really need to make one of these I have a spiral staircase going to the cellar now and no other way down there. If something goes wrong with the furnace. I live in a 1700 house and want / need to install a straight set of stairs under a hatch. it is the best and cheapest solution for me since this cellar is only good for storage any how. I have seen some pics on the net I get how to do the stairs part. it's the hatch part I am stumped on. i see them for sale for a few thousand but who has that kind of that cash when I have a entire kitchen that still needs renovating. Please someone have mercy and explain this part to me. Thanks
Ayuh,... Google up Bilco doors...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote