Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #1

Share |

Cellar Ceiling

I have an unfinished basement with exposed fiberglass for a ceiling. I want to seal off the fiberglass to allow the grandchildren to play on the painted floor. I have a dehumidifier that keeps the humidity at approx 55%. Climate wise I live in MA.
Can I staple TYVEK to the rafters to act as a particle barrier, but will I be creating a problem with moisture, mold, etc.

ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #2

Cellar Ceiling

Interesting creative idea. I like it..

is dehu a central system or stand alone in basement? is this a conditioned space?

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #3

Cellar Ceiling

Our humidifier is a standard Sears dehumidifier. We have a hot air system with a humidifier for heat, but the humidity stays below 55% in winter.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #4

Cellar Ceiling

Not a bad idea. Tyvek is a very breathable membrane and will let air get through, but not water or anything else. I don't see any reason that it wouldn't do exactly what you want it to do. It is pricey, but I'd resist the temptation to use something cheaper like plastic sheeting.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #5

Cellar Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Our humidifier is a standard Sears dehumidifier. We have a hot air system with a humidifier for heat, but the humidity stays below 55% in winter.
ChuckS,

I am a little confused by your post, deep down south humidity is a problem and sales of humidifiers are rare in FL. Dehumidifier sales are very good. Heck... we use AC system condensate lines for irrigation in the summer or dry season.

Back to your 1st post:

TYVEK is a little pricey. Other coverings might give you the protection from fiber glass particles that I believe you are looking for.
as I understand TYVEK, it was designed as a breathable membrane that would not allow water in, but would allow water vapor out.

So if your "cellar" does not have water intrusion problems, stays dry at the 55% RH as you advise..you could use most anything to separate the grand kids from the fiber glass.

I'm not sure of the fire rating of TYVEK... or what other conditions exist in your cellar... If it was my only 4 year old granddaughter ( that is with out price) I would install sheet rock. Or make them play with you in the den upstairs at least until they became miserable teenagers.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #6

Smile

Cellar Ceiling

I talked with DuPont and apparently TYVEK has been used for fiberglass particle containment for quite a while. Thanks for all the help.