Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2007, 10:49 AM   #1

Share |

ceiling water damage

Had a wonderful suprise waiting for me as I came home from work yesterday. Toilet in bathroom above kitchen sprang a leak and resulted in this damage to the kitcen celing below.
Can I just simply spackle and repaint? Or do I really have to get a section of the celing replaced?
usaalways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:11 AM   #2

ceiling water damage

My opinion is you will have to replace a section ( sorry).
Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

ceiling water damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaalways View Post
Had a wonderful suprise waiting for me as I came home from work yesterday. Toilet in bathroom above kitchen sprang a leak and resulted in this damage to the kitcen celing below.
Can I just simply spackle and repaint? Or do I really have to get a section of the celing replaced?
Hi, Pictures posted on the "net" can be misleading, so it is not easy to evaluate such a question. Additionally, that "sheetrock" is kind of funny colored underneath the paint. ?

If the wallboard has sagged and dried with a warp in it, then you will have to cut away the mis-shapened areas and replace them.

Options:

1.) You can attempt to re-tape and coat first (easier route)

2.) If the re-retape and coat do not work out, you can then attempt the replacement of the area(s)....

I cannot even number the amount of repairs related to water damage on ceilings that our company has done over the years.
For a repair "attempt": you should make sure that the area is definitely dry and does not contain any additional moisture or mold damage issues.
Scrape and remove ALL loose tape and compound. Re-screw any seams (as damp sheetrock may have loosened screw and sheetrock points).
Apply paper tape and multiple coats of compound as you would on normal "new sheetrock". The coats of compound on a repair tend to require wider coverage - to more evenly blend the repaired areas into the surface of the rest of the ceiling.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-30-2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
remodeling pro

ceiling water damage

Can't tell in the photo if the sheetrock is sagging from the water , but if it is bellied it needs to be cut out. If it is not,remove the loose joint tape for a few feet and refasten the drywall with a couple of screws, scrape any loose paint off the rock also, then prime the area with an oil based stain blocker. Now you can retape and float the damaged area. This is a hard patch to blend in inconspiciously, so it may be worth paying a drywall finisher to tape and float for you.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
Contractor

ceiling water damage

Just my opinion, but I would cut a hole and make sure everything is dry up there. If mold gets started up there, you will have a much bigger problem!
Chicago, IL
Dan101 is offline   Reply With Quote