Ceiling Options - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2007, 12:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Options

I bought an 80 year old house to rehab and it looks like whoever owned it last went crazy with walls and popcorn ceilings. I want to get rid of the texture. I was thinking about taking it all down to the rafters and putting up new sheet rock, and then I realized that my house is 1500 sq ft. Does anyone have any ideas about making those popcorn ceilings look nicer without having to buy all that sheetrock? Thanks for your help in advance.

Advertisement

RookVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ceiling Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookVega View Post
I bought an 80 year old house to rehab and it looks like whoever owned it last went crazy with walls and popcorn ceilings. I want to get rid of the texture. I was thinking about taking it all down to the rafters and putting up new sheet rock, and then I realized that my house is 1500 sq ft. Does anyone have any ideas about making those popcorn ceilings look nicer without having to buy all that sheetrock? Thanks for your help in advance.
If the Popcorn surface has not been painted over yet (creating a hard surface on it) You can scrape it all off with a wide 16" taping knife. Use a bottle of water with a sprayer tip if you have stubborn areas or if the whole thing is giving you a hard time...
Once it is all scraped off, apply skim coats of joint compound over it. It should take about 3 skimcoats to get it smooth enough. If you are 'newer' to taping and skim coating, you could do a light sanding with a sand pole in between coatings.
We have done ALOT of ceilings over like this since the 80's....with perfect results. This is not a 'fast or really quick' procedure, but it does work.

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2007, 02:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Options

Thank you so much for the information! I also just found out that all of the walls and ceilings are plaster and lathe. This will be my first time doing this so, I'm sure it will be fun. I will be video taping the rehab and posting on my website if anyone is interested.
RookVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Ceiling Options

I am in the process of removing my popcorn from plaster ceilings. Its not fun, its like a rock. I wet it down and ducktaped a 4" putty knife to a pole and scrapped it off. the pole ads good leverage and makes it alot easier than standing on a ladder. Good luck
sflamedic is offline   Reply With Quote