Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling-mounted pull-up bar in apartment

I'm moving into a new apartment and I'm trying to find a place to mount a pull-up bar (doorframes aren't conducive seeing as they're lacking trim that will support that type of bar). I know I can get one that will attack to studs in the wall, but before I go that route I want to see if there's a place I can mount one to the ceiling.

Below are some pictures of the apartment. As you can see, the ceiling as a few different heights, with the drop-down parts concealing the duct-work for the central air (at least that's what I'm assuming they're there for). Along the edge of all those ceiling drops I assume there is a 2x4 or something along that line.

The obvious concern is if whatever framing in there would support a bar + my weight (170lbs or so).

The higher portions of the ceiling are a bit too high up to put a bar, which is why I'm considering these spots at the moment

DGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #2

my first question is this. Does your landlord know your going to do this? and is he ok with it? Second if he is have him in stall it for you so if it comes crashing down on you its his fault and not yours.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #3

putting a bar on the soffit is not a good idea. its not intended to carry a load other than drywall its just to cover things up.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #4

that's what I was figuring, ok thanks
DGalt is offline   Reply With Quote