Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling light fixture does not cover hole

Hello. New register here. I searched around the website and on the internet a bit and could not find a decent solution. Most of the time the response is either re-patch the hole or a medallion. I replaced the fixture with an identical one but I think the manufacturer changed the dimensions over the last ten years.

The house is a one story duplex. The ceiling is popcorn textured. I was thinking of great stuff or similar but I worried about any potential fire hazard or code. What do you guys think? Any ideas? It does not have to be perfect. I would just like to seal it from drafts. The hole is 2 inches at its length and 5/8" at the widest part.
http://imgur.com/xdZWl

Thanks.

Elkypro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #2

Once I had the same problem with a tiled ceiling. In this case I made a 'donut' from a piece of aluminum siding. to cover it up.
In your case, it will likely be easier to fill the hole with some plaster patching compound.

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #3

They make decorative rings for covering holes or for enhancing a light fixture. Available at home stores, usually in the lighting section.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #4

I would just push some non-shrinking spackle up in there. First application to fill the hole almost up to level, let it dry, then second application to level with the surrounding area and dab it with a paper towel to tease out some texture to match the surrounding area.

That's right on the border size-wise of what you can reasonably fill with spackle and not expect it to crack, but it's not an area under stress and that is the first thing I would try.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Ironlight, before they put that spackle up there, it may be easier to take a piece of cardboard and place to help give some backing to the spackle, or use a little DAP foam fill around, shave some off to allow the spackle to be flush when sanded down.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #6

Or just go buy a light with a bigger base.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies.
I would not buy another light because this one is brand new and works perfectly fine. I am more concerned with the drafts into the attic. Yeah I can even stick a sock there to plug it but I was just wondering if there was anything I hadn't thought about. But spackling it may be my best bet. Thanks again
Old 12-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

I would spray foam around all of the boxes up in the attic, while you are doing this one, along with getting the insulation back over them. If there is enough insulation up there, even with that gap, you should not be feeling that much air flow. Just saying.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 12-25-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #9

Greg, What are bboces? the insulation is blown in blown in cellulose so it tends to fall through.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

It should be boxes. I have a rooted nook that I was using, and it does not always behave, when typing.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
MarginallyQualified

OP: your problem is drywall related not the light fixture.
Fix the opening (as best you can) to match the popcorn.

hth
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #12

There are pop corn patch products available but it is hard to get a clean match. The spray can stuff can make a big mess in a split second so I wouldn't recomend it.

PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote