Ceiling Leak - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling leak

Hello,

My master bathroom is in the upper level. While my son was having his bubble bath, he accidentally spilled water out of the tub on to the batroom floor. The water spread to the sides of the bathroom and on to the edge of the door to the bedroom. The cieling right below my baster bedroom now shows some seepage. I have tried to remove the excess water from the batroom floor and the carpet edges. What is the next step I should proceed with. The cieling is wet at a couple of places as a thin strip. I read in some form that "First dry the cieling stain and then spray with Lysol to prevent mould from developing". Is this ok. If so, then, how can I dry the cieling stain? What are the other possible solutions to this?

We are a first time home buyer and this is the first such issue we have come across and would appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks,
Jai

Advertisement

jjnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ceiling leak

Once things have dried out, clean out and caulk all joints around the bathroom with silicone caulk. If this was a one time event, don't worry about mold, it should not be an issue. As for the water stain, seal with shellac or a primer such as Zinser 1-2-3, then repaint.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote