Ceiling Issue - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling issue

18 year old house, typical tract home of the time.

A month or so ago, I had a water leak associated with the trim on the corner of my house not being properly sealed. This trim was located along the second floor of the house, ending at the roof of the first floor (my house only has a second floor over one half). This is above the kitchen, and the leak actually came out of the corner of drywall near a wall cabinet installation. Water did not come from the actual ceiling at any point. The roof is angled towards the back of the house above the kitchen, but there is no access to this area.

About this time, I noticed a ridge in the ceiling drywall near the leak location. NO stain, no cracking of paint, no cracking of ceiling texture, just a 1-1.5 foot ridge where the ceiling was no longer flat. Once I noticed this, I started looking over the ceiling and noticed it in a few spots, in 6-8 foot intervals..about the width of a piece of sheetrock. One of the ridges is far enough over that it is under the second story of my house. Due to this, I think it's unlikely that water could have infiltrated that far under the second story without any other signs like stains, or bulges. Perhaps it is just an issue where the drywall is working itself loose at the joists and can simply be rescrewed? I know nothing but I wonder if it might be that simple or common that this could happen. For all I know, it's been this way for a long time and I only just now noticed because of the leak I had. The texture of the ceiling makes it far from obvious unless the light hits it and shows the 'ridge' Now that I've seen it, it's all I see The reason I suspect it could be a common issue related to the drywall work is that I have other walls in the house with popped nails and so forth.

So...a few questions, how likely could this be some kind of water damage alone vs some kind of common settling issue with poor drywall work and how can I check the insulation of the area above the kitchen ceiling without cutting holes that will be difficult to repair (textured ceiling, impossible to match without redoing the whole darn thing). Is it worth tearing holes with no staining or obvious water damage to the drywall? The 'ridges' are very minor really, it's just something that annoys me. And I'd like to fix it without redoing the entire ceiling

Advertisement

wooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
Not a Noob or Boob

Rewards Points: 75

Ceiling issue

Pictures would help.

Advertisement

Rob1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #3

Ceiling issue

This is under the second story, a good 10 feet from where I had a leak.

This is towards the middle of the house, 5 feet from the leak, probably 4 feet towards the center of the house as well.

This shows the two spots towards the cabinet running from left to right. The right cabinet, top corner where the drywall is above the cabinet and back to the outside wall is where the leak came in. The source was directly above it. Everything dry, no stains, even though the shadows may make it appear stained or wet.

Hope this helps someone point me in the right direction. Not even sure if this is something insurance would cover or if I'm on my own...new homeowner here.
wooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ceiling issue

The ridge is probably where water ran to and soaked into the compound. Drywall will take a small amount of water over the back of the sheet, but will bleed through any seems and penetrations pretty readily.
If you want to inspect for mold or repair the ridge, you'll need to open the ceiling or damage the patternon the ceiling.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,522

Ceiling issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
A month or so ago, I had a water leak associated with the trim on the corner of my house not being properly sealed.
Your leak in more than likely a weather barrier/flashing issue. Caulking will at best be only a temporary fix.

Post a picture of that corner if you can.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #6

Ceiling issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The ridge is probably where water ran to and soaked into the compound. Drywall will take a small amount of water over the back of the sheet, but will bleed through any seems and penetrations pretty readily.
If you want to inspect for mold or repair the ridge, you'll need to open the ceiling or damage the patternon the ceiling.
Ron

This is the same thing that happened to me - (we had a leak from my bathroom upstairs) .. it ran along the ceiling in my living room until it burst open the ceiling at a seam.. now when I look at the ceiling I can see all the ridges like yours along the seams of each sheet.. along with some bubbles in random places.. and it drives me nuts. No visible mold but we just did an air quality test..

Advertisement

izzyant88 is offline   Reply With Quote