Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Ceiling Ideas....?

I am just finishing up my basement. I kind of did things backwards and left the ceiling for last. I absolutely hated taping and mudding the walls ( I am pretty bad with it too), and at all expenses I am trying to avoid doing the same with ceiling. What are some possible ways of avoiding any further mudding and taping but still obtain a nice looking cieling? The ceiling has already been drywalled by the builder. I really don't want to popcorn texture the ceiling, but I feel it will be an easier solution.

SGTHetland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #2

Ceiling Ideas....?

Since your ceiling is sheetrock, you're pretty much stuck mudding and taping it. I know what you mean, there's nothing I hate more than taping and sanding.

You can cover up a less-than-perfect tape job with various textures such as popcorn or knockdown. Knockdown looks better in my opinion, but probably isn't quite as effective at hiding flaws.

Tin ceilings would have been an option if you'd planned on it, but it is too late for that now.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #3

Ceiling Ideas....?

What about having wood beams covering the drywall edges? You even add some cool lighting effects in the wood beams.
WarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Ceiling Ideas....?

Cover it with bead board and trim as necessary. Not cheap, but looks very nice! Or hire someone to finish it for you and touch up any "minor problems" on the walls. (Probably about the same price.) I'd use texture as a last resort. Looks cheap and harder to repair should the need ever arise.

Tags
ceiling, popcorn, texture spray