Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #1

Share |

ceiling in garage

Is it safe to hang up kayaks from garage ceiling to what appears to be metal rafters/studs. The metal is thin and seems to be nailed to drywall and wood beams. I have actually already put up the kayaks and it seems secure, almost put all my weight on it as well. Any feedback would be truly appreciated. Just want to be sure kayaks won't come down crashing into cars.

er78mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

ceiling in garage

Not really, depending on the weight of the kayaks. You would be better to build a frame up in the attic space out of 2x8 or 2x10 as a sister joist, so that you can secure them on the wood joists.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

ceiling in garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by er78mph View Post
Is it safe to hang up kayaks from garage ceiling
You said garage ceiling.

Quote:
to what appears to be metal rafters/studs.
Now you say metal rafters/studs. What are you talking about? A ceiling or rafters?

Quote:
I have actually already put up the kayaks and it seems secure, almost put all my weight on it as well. Any feedback would be truly appreciated. Just want to be sure kayaks won't come down crashing into cars.
You ask this after you do it??
Old 04-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #4

ceiling in garage

Pls describe more accurately what is going on. "Metal is thin and appears to be nailed to drywall and wood beams..." Is this a suspended ceiling or something? I'm confused. That said, if you and the kayak have been hanging on it, it may well have passed the "gross overload" test and be fine. MAY have....
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
DIY Enthusiast

ceiling in garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel
Pls describe more accurately what is going on. "Metal is thin and appears to be nailed to drywall and wood beams..." Is this a suspended ceiling or something? I'm confused. That said, if you and the kayak have been hanging on it, it may well have passed the "gross overload" test and be fine. MAY have....
Time will tell......
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #6

ceiling in garage

Joe,
Sorry, wrote msg all at one time and I am talking about the ceiling. Instead of finding wood with stud finder I am finding metal. I hooked up two kayaks to the metal and they seem to be okay but would like to know what the metal is. Thank-you!!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #7
DIY Enthusiast

ceiling in garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by er78mph
Joe,
Sorry, wrote msg all at one time and I am talking about the ceiling. Instead of finding wood with stud finder I am finding metal. I hooked up two kayaks to the metal and they seem to be okay but would like to know what the metal is. Thank-you!!
It would appear they used metal studs to frame your garage ceiling.
If you don't have access to the framing in the ceiling I would use numerous hooks across the length of the kayak to dristribute the weight.
Metal studs are not reliable for carrying a lot of weight by them selves.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #8

ceiling in garage

Jklingel,
Sorry for confusion. I used a stud finder on garage ceiling and found metal instead of wood. I don't know why metal is up there and simply want to know if its safe? Kayaks have been up for 3 days.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #9

ceiling in garage

If in doubt, poke a hole in the sheetrock big enough for your head w/ a headlamp attached. It's easy to repair. If you have metal trusses, or very large studs, you are probably ok. However, first find out exactly WTH is up there, then see someone versed w/ them; perhaps an online shop will provide spans and loads, and you can take it from there.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote