Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Jansen

Share |

Ceiling fell down

I was rudely awakened by the living room ceiling falling down. Pulled the rest down amid lots of blow in insulation. Now doing some electrical work easily accessed with no ceiling and then to put sheetrock back up. Any suggestions?
marvinjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #2

Ceiling fell down

Maybe you better try to figure out why it fell down and see if the same condition exists elswhere in the house. And wear a hardhat when you sleep in case the bedroom ceiling comes down too.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Jansen

Ceiling fell down

It probable fell down due to previous owner storing stuff on the ceiling and then my adding blown in insulation. Bedroom is newer ceiling that didn't have stuff store on it. There is one room I am worried about. What do you think about putting another sheet rock, maybe 3/8th, over the existing ceiling and using lots of longer screws?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Ceiling fell down

Ceilings don't fall if they are installed properly. Obviously your was installed improperly by the previous home owner.
You are best to install 1/2" shetrock or 5/8" using drywall screws placed 16" O.C. Make sure that the screw heads do not penetrate the paper surface. You an also use construction/sheetrock adhesive.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:21 PM   #5

Ceiling fell down

Longer screws really aren't necessary. Use screws that penetrate about an inch into the wood. No need to use 3" screws or anything like that. Like AtlanticWBConst said, be sure not to break the paper face of the rock. Any screw that breaks the paper face should be considered useless to holding that rock up. I'd imagine that the hangers of your old ceiling probably deep-drove the old screws or nails, which over time caused that ceiling to weaken to the point that it fell.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
Drywall and Painting Pro

Ceiling fell down

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinjansen View Post
It probable fell down due to previous owner storing stuff on the ceiling and then my adding blown in insulation. Bedroom is newer ceiling that didn't have stuff store on it. There is one room I am worried about. What do you think about putting another sheet rock, maybe 3/8th, over the existing ceiling and using lots of longer screws?
Everything you need to know about drywall Right Here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Checkout some of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
Drywall and Painting Pro

Ceiling fell down

Page #'s 3, 4 , and 5.

Checkout some of

Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:04 AM   #8
Floating in the Gulf

Ceiling fell down

Marvin-

I am not a pro, and I certainly don't disagree with anything they wrote here.. but usually the weight of blown in insulation is not quite enough to drop your ceiling... unless that stuff from the previous owner is/was still stored on top of it (and why do people do things like that anyway??) Now, maybe your ceiling failed for purely mechanical reasons, and if it looked a little sketchy before its final collapse that does seem possible, but...

Most of the sheetrock ceilings I have seen fall/collapse in the past have been due to some type of water damage. Before I tried to put up and new ceiling, I would get in the attic, take a flashlight, and look very closely to be absolutely sure that there isn't a leak anywhere NO MATTER HOW SMALL. Water can "travel" quite a ways running along the wood holding up your roof... I would check everything above the area that failed, looking for any water stains. If your air conditioner is up there, be sure to check around it very closely too.

Even a very small leak can destroy a ceiling over time.

And as stated above, you would be much better off going with 1/2 or even better 5/8 sheetrock for a ceiling. The 3/8 stuff will end up looking saggy.

Good luck!
krankykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #9
Jansen

Ceiling fell down

I found another room, or 2, with cracks and nails showing. How about putting 3/8th or 1/4" rock over the existing?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #10

Ceiling fell down

Glue and screw.
JohnJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #11

Ceiling fell down

I would think adding more screws to the esixting might be enough to keep it up unless there is some other damage that is not visible.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #12

Ceiling fell down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
Glue and screw.
Onto bare ceiling joists that will work very well.

Marvin is talking about an overylay onto the existing deteriorating ceiling. In that case the glue won't help because it will be sticking to drywall that's not secured well.

Marvin, it really depends on a good visual evaluation of the current ceiling condition. An overlay like you describe can work well with the right length screws to get you through the new and existing drywall and into the joists. In some cases you might be able to just add screws to the existing drywall and refinish it without an overlay.

You need to figure out if the drywall itself is deteriorating or whether it's just that the fasteners (nails/screws) were overdriven driven or are pulling out of joists because of insufficient length.

In the area where the ceiling fell are the nails/screws still in the joists? Does the fallen drywall have any stains on either side that indicate water damage?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #13
Jansen

Ceiling fell down

I just tried screws in my den and pulled it up snug. Great advice. Will try it now in son's bedroon, worst looking of all. Sheetrock seems good, just nails pulled thru. Simple fix to add screws. Using one of those Dimpler Drywall Driver by Vermont American to put it to the right depth without going too far but far enough to fill in well. Anyone use a sheetrock lift? They rent nearby for $37 a day each. Any advice?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #14

Ceiling fell down

If your just adding screws you shouldn't need a lift. You can probably just push it up by hand but if your arm gets tired you can build a "T" out of 2x4s with the long leg just long enough so that you can "wedge" it between the floor and the ceiling to push the drywall firmly against the joists. You'll want it long enough that it doesn't go straight vertical but rather wedges at a slight angle.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
Jansen

Ceiling fell down

I will be putting up 6 sheets 12' 1/2". Just checked out the lifts at local rental, nice for only about $40 a day. the way to go.