Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Fan Problems

Iam currently installing a ceiling fan, two to be exact. Iam having problems since they are not working I have a non circut neon tester that reads that my fans are getting power. But only the lights are working on one of them.. Any ideas am I just not getting enough power to them?

JeremyS04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Ceiling Fan Problems

Wow! I'm having the exact same problem. Just installed a Hunter 42" Stratford II and the lights are working but the fan won't move. Since the lights are working, that makes me think the wiring in the canopy is done correctly, do I have a busted motor?

jkrodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:28 PM   #3

Ceiling Fan Problems

I dunno man... I cant figure it out for nothing... Iam sure your fans fine Iam just wondering if Iam getting enough power to my fan...?
Old 08-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #4

Ceiling Fan Problems

Enough power is most likely not the root of either of you problems. Most fan/light combos have 4 wires coming from them; Black White Blue Green.

Now your house will have 2 or 3. Black and White or Black White and Copper. The 2 wire system is usually found in older homes.

So the Black is Power the White Neutral. On the fan it's Black Power for the fan, Blue Power for the light, White Neutral, Green is ground.

So connect the blue and black from the fan to the black on your ceiling. Connect the white to the white. The Green to the copper.

Also most fans have a screw that stops them from turnning during shipping make sure this is renoved.
jiggyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:22 PM   #5

Ceiling Fan Problems

what about a short in the wire i pulled? and my fan is wired correctly heh i do know how to wire i use to be a commercial electrician for like a year before i decided to enlist. And i have 12/2 wire black/white/copper. Oh yea i removed all those screws also
Old 08-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #6

Ceiling Fan Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS04 View Post
what about a short in the wire i pulled? and my fan is wired correctly heh i do know how to wire i use to be a commercial electrician for like a year before i decided to enlist. And i have 12/2 wire black/white/copper. Oh yea i removed all those screws also

Sorry it's hard to gauge someones knowledge from just a post. Well then I'd guess bad motor if it's wired correctly. I wouldn't think it was shorting if the light has power.......Hmmmm maybe it could be short in the wire to the motor. If you have a tester see if you can get a flow though the line.
jiggyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #7

Ceiling Fan Problems

yea i was thinking the same thing and i dont have one of those though too much money to spend on it. thanks for your help though its much appreciated
Old 08-12-2007, 05:24 PM   #8

Ceiling Fan Problems

ALSO... its 2 fans doing the same thing except one the lights dont even work.. i have them coming from the same junction box.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #9

Ceiling Fan Problems

I am in an older house with just a black and a white coming from the ceiling. The only has a black, white, and green. We took it off and double-checked, everything was properly connected but still nothing. I've seen the people at HD be kinda rough with the boxes, could it have gotten dropped and damaged?

Oh yeah, definitely unscrewed that screw during the installation process. I wasn't an electrician but I am pretty good at following instruction manuals.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #10

Ceiling Fan Problems

Iam thinking in my case it is my fans I already hooked up 3 of 5 and the others work great... Its just the last 2 always happens at the end heh but yours i think to work it has to be grounded
Old 08-12-2007, 07:02 PM   #11

Ceiling Fan Problems

dang, I was afraid of that. The previous ceiling fan up there was a Hunter also and it was working, we just replaced it b/c it was old and ugly. Besides getting an electrician in, is there anyway to fix it?