Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

ceiling fan

I've been taking a break on my porch project and focusing on some issues in my air conditioned home

Within a few months of installing a ceiling fan in my bedroom, I noticed that it all of a sudden wouldn't start spinning from the off position when I flipped the light switch, giving it electricity.more often than not, It now needs a slight push to start moving. Anyone ever have this happen? thanks for your help.

joetab24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

ceiling fan

It would help if you stated the wiring situation. Are you starting it off in low?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #3

ceiling fan

"Are you starting it off in low?"

thanks for the reply!

It definitely happens almost every time when I start it in low, less often when in the fastest setting, but it still happens more than half the time.

not sure what info to provide about the wiring. what info would help?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #4

ceiling fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetab24 View Post
"Are you starting it off in low?"

thanks for the reply!

It definitely happens almost every time when I start it in low, less often when in the fastest setting, but it still happens more than half the time.

not sure what info to provide about the wiring. what info would help?
How is the fan wired? Is there 12-3 or 14-3 supplying the fan? If not what wire size and number(of wires) are supplying the fixture? Are the fan and the light operated, separately, by the switch or do you control the light and fan by the pulls on the fan?
Ron
Old 07-13-2010, 06:51 AM   #5

ceiling fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
How is the fan wired? Is there 12-3 or 14-3 supplying the fan? If not what wire size and number(of wires) are supplying the fixture? Are the fan and the light operated, separately, by the switch or do you control the light and fan by the pulls on the fan?
Ron
ok....as far as the wiring, i am not sure. i just detached the old fan and hooked up the new one. if it's essential to know this, i can disassemble the fan and check, although i will need some guidance identifying 12-3 vs. 14-3. can this determined at the fuse box?

the fan and light have separate pulls on the fan, both of which go on or off when the I flip the switch on the wall.

thanks again for your help....
Old 07-13-2010, 07:22 AM   #6

ceiling fan

The size of the wire is irrelevant, I just wanted to know if the ceiling box was supplied by 2 individual hot wires. With this set up, you can operate the fan and light from the wall switch. In this case, the fan speed is always set on high(at the fan) and the speeds are adjusted at the switch. If the fan speed at the fan is set lower, to medium or low, the fan doesn't work properly.
If you're getting 120 volts at the ceiling box and the wiring is correct, the fan could be bad. If you put the fan speed on high and turn the wall switch on, does the fan operate correctly? Is the issue only at low speed?
Ron