Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #1

Share |

Cedar Post

Hi, I need some advice please. I plan on building a pergola off of my back patio out of cedar. Three of the 8x8 post will be buried and cemented in the ground. (I know this is a big no no.) What can I do to prolong the life of the cedar post? My thought was to put some copper naphthenate (wood treatment) about 30 up the post then maybe wrap that with some Vycor rubber flashing. Also put about a 3 layer of gravel in the hole before adding the cement. Do yall have any ideals on how to get the most out of the post?

bum4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Always learning...

Cedar Post

Is there a reason you don't want to anchor your posts on concrete pillars instead of burying them?

fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #3

Cedar Post

Well, its going to be a 12x12 built around my out door kitchen/ bar area. I will be using 8x8 post and 4x12 beams with 2x10 rafters. We will be hanging swings off of three side of the pergola so I will need something that is very stable and not sway. My wife saw the swing ideal at a bar while we were on vacation in Mexico.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Mod

Cedar Post

Don’t waste your money on 8x8 cedar. Have you priced that yet?

Use 6x6 pt post then wrap them above grade with 1x Cedar.

Put a shovel or two of gravel in the bottom of the hole and 2 90lb mixed sacks in each.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 07-19-2010 at 05:18 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Jim F (07-19-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #5

Cedar Post

How deep is your frost line?

Be safe, Gary
Old 07-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #6

Cedar Post

OK after doing more internet searches it would be best to install the post above grade. Also the way the main beams will interlock with each other I hope it will be stable enough. So I will be installing concrete pillows with brackets to install the 8x8 post. I'm thinking about a 10"x10" slab . Question, how thick do I make the slab?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #7

Cedar Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bum4x4 View Post
OK after doing more internet searches it would be best to install the post above grade. Also the way the main beams will interlock with each other I hope it will be stable enough. So I will be installing concrete pillows with brackets to install the 8x8 post. I'm thinking about a 10"x10" slab . Question, how thick do I make the slab?
I don't know what concrete pillows are, but to support the posts, you need to sink sonotubes below the frostline.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #8

Cedar Post

Sorry, meant to say concrete pillars or concrete footing. Anyway I live in North East Texas so we dont have much of a frost line. Thinking maybe digging down about a foot to 18. Form up about a 10x10 or 12x12 put some rebar in the cement and place a stand off post bracket on top. See any problems with this?
Didn't want to use the round sleve with a square post on top for the footing.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #9

Cedar Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bum4x4 View Post
Sorry, meant to say concrete pillars or concrete footing. Anyway I live in North East Texas so we dont have much of a frost line. Thinking maybe digging down about a foot to 18. Form up about a 10x10 or 12x12 put some rebar in the cement and place a stand off post bracket on top. See any problems with this?
Didn't want to use the round sleve with a square post on top for the footing.
The footing you put in is designed to carry the weight of the structure above. So you would need to know what the weight of the structure will be before you pour the support.
Sounds like you haven't a clue, which doesn't bode well for the project.
This isn't some ground level putz project that if it's a rolling abortion, no one will get hurt. Failure to do this correctly will kill someone.
If you have a building dept, contact them for some guidance.
Ron
Old 07-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #10

Cedar Post

This can be done by a homeowner equipped with the right information but it's not something to be taken lightly. The OP just needs to do his homework first. I haven't research pergola construction myself yet but it sounds like something he would need a permit for.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #11

Cedar Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
This can be done by a homeowner equipped with the right information but it's not something to be taken lightly. The OP just needs to do his homework first. I haven't research pergola construction myself yet but it sounds like something he would need a permit for.
God bless you Jim, for a voice of reason.
Ron