Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cedar chest

I am "refinishing" a cedar chest. I have brushed on a stripping liquid and scraped it. There are a few dents and dings and a couple of places where the edges were broken off,somewhat, but not too bad,really.I'm almost finished sanding it( Arggghhhh)! Originally I had no plans on adding any wood or fillers to this piece: just varnishing it. It had a dark stain on it ,before,but the cedar looks too good to stain,in my opinion.
If I filled the dents,what would I use ? Do you think laying a plastic varnish right on the sanded cedar is a good idea ? Approximately what do you think I should charge the owner for this job ? I know they are going to like what I did;it looks so much better , already.

Last edited by gmjosey; 08-21-2007 at 08:19 AM. Reason: spelling
gmjosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
Agent 000

Rewards Points: 250

Cedar chest

As far as filling in dents is concerned; I haven't personally done this but the fellas in one of the woodworking forums that I belong to use clear epoxy and sawdust to fill in cracks and holes in cedar. Just make sure you use the correct colored cedar sawdust and do a test piece before committing yourself. I can't help on any of your other questions.

SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

Cedar chest

The dark color was probably just the old varnish discolored. Why fill in the dents and nicks? Ask the owner if they want it restored as an old piece first. The dents etc. add character. You can use a good varnish thinned 50-50 for the first coat, and full strength for the rest of the 4-6 coats. Don't do the inside. I've also used poly on these. Depends on the customer.
You are working ass back wards if you haven't come up with a price already.

I refinished my mother-in-laws chest for my wife. It was totally black. Had been in the basement for years. The 4" base was unrepairable but solid. I cut 1/4" plywood and covered it in a nice tapestry. Looks awesome.
Have fun and discuss this with the owner. (original or durable finish)
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote