Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Caulking on textured surfaces

Was installing some crown molding this weekend and had issues with caulking: I have knockdown textured walls which created a sloppy line when wiping away the excess caulk with my wet rag/finger. Is anybody aware of a technique for nice clean caulk lines on textured surfaces?
I suppose in the future I could tape just below the molding...just seems there may be an easier way. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,
G

wannabehandson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #2

Crown repair and new install

The member in that thread figured it out. Shoot him a PM, maybe he's still around.

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k View Post
Crown repair and new install

The member in that thread figured it out. Shoot him a PM, maybe he's still around.

I don't have enough posts to send PM's.

Can anybody suggest anything pertinent...other than directing me to somebody else. Much appreciated.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 28

A picture may help...no one has any idea of how heavy of uneven the texture is that you're dealing with. Is the crown and ceiling going to be the same color? Stain grade crown against paint?

When I do crown against popcorn I'll hold it up there, draw a line and then clean up the bumps with a painters tool before installing the piece.

Welcome to the forum btw.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
A picture may help...no one has any idea of how heavy of uneven the texture is that you're dealing with. Is the crown and ceiling going to be the same color? Stain grade crown against paint?

When I do crown against popcorn I'll hold it up there, draw a line and then clean up the bumps with a painters tool before installing the piece.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Sorry,I have no pics at the moment. I'll try and get some on later this week. I've been fuming because all of the information I've read and videos I've seen about caulking crown made it seem like such a simple task;run your bead,wipe off with wet finger/rag...done! If you have a bit of texture like I do(standard knockdown for newer track homes) it is not that simple. so I thought I would drop into a chatroom and get some suggestions before I do my next room. I was thinking next time I might tape off below my caulk line (above on ceiling)and run the caulk just over the tape so when I peel it off it will reveal a straight line. I do like your idea of scraping the texture down with a painters tool before the crown is installed. What type of a tool specifically are you refering to? I appreciate the advice and I'll try and get those pics up ASAP!

Thanks for the welcoming!

G
Old 04-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 18

Here's my suggestion from the land of texture Fla. Take a small screwdriver or a 5 in 1 tool and use just the side of it to scrap away a very small amount of the texture right at the base of the crown. This small amount will not be noticeable from the floor and it will not only make chaulking easier but will give you a straight line for painting. just in case- what I mean is lay the tip of the flat head screwdriver against the wall so all you are removing is the thickness of the end of the screwdriver.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabehandson View Post
I don't have enough posts to send PM's.

Can anybody suggest anything pertinent...other than directing me to somebody else. Much appreciated.

Don't worry, I will never again steer you in the direction of a recent member who has firsthand experience with your problems.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k View Post
Don't worry, I will never again steer you in the direction of a recent member who has firsthand experience with your problems.

That would make me very happy