Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Caulking Nightmare or...

I just began re-caulking my bathroom. I haven't gotten very far...just now removing old caulk (silicone) with a razor blade. I don't know a whole lot about types of materials things are made of, but I will try my best to explain....

My best guess is the tub is coated steel (i can scrub the heck out of it and it doesnt ever scratch). Surrounding the tub is a plastic(?) liner that goes up to the shower head, which is boardered by painted wood framing. Here is my dilemma (or not?)...

As I was cutting the old caulking away from the joint (between the top of the tub and the plastic liner), I can see that it is really wet and moldy behind the liner. Is there an easy fix to this or have I just created 100x more work for myself?

Is it typical for it to be just the wall (drywall) behind this liner? I ask because I have always had tile. This liner seems to be a bit of a pain in the bum, and it doesn't help that the last caulking job was seemingly done by a child

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, this is my first post beyond my intro, so if I am missing any info or need to add pics of this mess, let me know. Thanks!!

tmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Not so new

Caulking Nightmare or...

Well...maybe not 100x. For sure, if it were mine I'd remove the shower liner and further assess the damage. You certainly can't leave it that way.

12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Tileguy

Caulking Nightmare or...

Quote:
Is there an easy fix to this
No. Remove the plastic, clean substrate, if there is no real damage replace the plastic surround.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Caulking Nightmare or...

I also agree with removing the "tub surround", the plastic pieces, and assess the damage to whatever is under this surround material. There has also been a very detailed, and very good, post on this site as to how to properly "re-caulk" a bath area, or an area high in moisture. Try a search to find it.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Caulking Nightmare or...

Whatever you do, do not use silicon to caulk again. You can use caulk with SOME silicon in it but silicone itself is not a good caulking material.
It is one of the things on my "work of the devil" list.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #6

Caulking Nightmare or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman
I also agree with removing the "tub surround", the plastic pieces, and assess the damage to whatever is under this surround material. There has also been a very detailed, and very good, post on this site as to how to properly "re-caulk" a bath area, or an area high in moisture. Try a search to find it.
Thurman- I have actually been following that exact post you are talking about, but ran into the mold problem. It is a great post...very informative
Old 07-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #7

Caulking Nightmare or...

Thanks for all the quick responses! The tub surround is in five pieces. I easily lifted one of the pieces away from the wall and it's....disgusting. I'm contemplating taking it down and tiling the area. We don't own this place so I will need to contact the owner. Thanks again
Old 07-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
Tileguy

Caulking Nightmare or...

Quote:
i'm contemplating taking it down and tiling the area. We don't own this place so i will need to contact the owner.
hold on !!!
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:48 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Caulking Nightmare or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Whatever you do, do not use silicon to caulk again. You can use caulk with SOME silicon in it but silicone itself is not a good caulking material.
It is one of the things on my "work of the devil" list.

YES, it is

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, bathtub, caulk, caulking, mold