Caulk Vs Putty - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Caulk vs putty

Staying at relative's beach house for the week. He asked that I "tape" over 3 drilled "mistake" holes on his covered deck (missed the beam/drilling for hammock hooks). He's concerned about flying insects, etc. creating a nest. When he returns, he said he's going to fill the holes with "putty used around electric meters".

One hole is on his siding (couldn't find any leftover siding -- I looked). The other holes are into some sort of finish construction material -- it's wood with a thin, textured, plastic-like covering on the exterior side (house is on the ocean block -- something that might combat weathering?).

House is less than a year old.

Question 1. Is there any advantage to using putty over an external silicone caulk? Shrinkage over time?

Q. 2. Is there a better solution for the holes?
Attached Thumbnails
Caulk vs putty-2012-08-27_10-50-18_906.jpg  

Advertisement

dcj710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 738

Caulk vs putty

Very very poor decision on his part even trying to attach a hammock to a wall. That siding is about $300.00 a sq. and is very fussy to even install it.

Use a quality latex caulking.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
dcj710 (08-27-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #3

Caulk vs putty

Second picture didn't upload first ... it shows other side of hammock run. Mistake hole goes through the wood/veneer(?) product described, then (assumption) into a beam.
Attached Thumbnails
Caulk vs putty-2012-08-27_11-57-07_300.jpg  
Old 09-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

Caulk vs putty

How big are those holes? Hard to caulk or putty a through hole. You're gonna need some kind of backing, bet ya can't get to back side. I dunno what electric meter putty is. Contact siding maker for suitable filler. Ocean side? You might try marine supply stores for suitable filler, ask them about suitable oakum too. There will be shrinkage no matter what you use, 'cept maybe some two part epoxy type or something from naval stores. Expanding foam in a can,( "Great stuff" not minimally expanding, next step up, slightly expanding? don't remember what they call it) Qwik shots try to get it to expand behind hole, then qwik shots to come almost to surface, then approved finish filler, siding maker may approve foam as finish even marine conditions. You might can poke some oakum or other wadding in there and get it to stick, saturate it with proper adhesive for siding, let it set, then start filling holes build up in shallow layers, let each layer set and shrink B4 next layer. Mite can texture last layer to match expensive siding. Ocean side I'd use silicon, (messy to clean up so be neat), or some marine caulking. You can take a flatish stick that will fit thru hole and couple inches longer than hole diameter, tie string around center of stick, smear adhesive on ends of stick, poke it thru, center with string, pull stick tite to inside of waal with string and secure string end to something to hold it tite. Have a popsycle while glue dries ( Hey! sumbudy stole the sticks out of these popsycles!) Foam, oakum, or fill from the stick backing. ( Mebbee I should add "Measure twice, drill once to my sig.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to notmrjohn For This Useful Post:
dcj710 (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #5

Caulk vs putty

Some food for thought in that reply. Yeah, I don't know what "electric meter putty" is either, but I sort of know what he's thinking... something exterior. Got that right on the shrinkage, too.

I'm also going to pass along "notmrjohn" suggestions for him to mull over. Marine supply good place for him to start shopping/asking questions.

Me, I'm going to the Sand Bar. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,336

Caulk vs putty

Use a Printable siliconized latex caulk----that will give you enough flexibility and weather resistance---very common caulk,should say," 30 year caulk" ---you will be fine---water clean up.

Avoid 100% silicone as it can't be painted.
dcj710 (09-20-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 738

Caulk vs putty

If it's a through hole use use a wood plug set just below the surface then apply the caulking Mike suggested.
That not the correct way to use okem, electrial puddy, or any form of foam.
Non of them have any place in filling in a simple hole that will need to be touch up painted.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
dcj710 (09-20-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Caulk vs putty

Abatron's WoodEpox. You can tool it to match the texture either before it sets or with a small sculptor's rasp after. It will outlast the siding. I've used it for years on sailboat and antique home restorations. As shown, it is a two part product.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 09-01-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Added Photo
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
dcj710 (09-20-2012)