Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2009, 05:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Caulk or Grout???? Urgent Help

Hi,
I would like to get some advice on how can i seal the bathtub seal properly. I believe they are ceramic tiles. Please kindly find some photos attached.
The caulking keeps on coming off after 2-3 months and finally this is how the wall next to the tub looks like. All i can think is either the caulking was wrong or there is a leak behind the facet.
Please kindly let me know what i should do and how, where can i buy the correct caulk or grout material? Is there i can prevent further damage to the walls?
Many Thanks,
MM
Attached Images
File Type: bmp All in One 3.bmp (95.3 KB, 93 views)

MM12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:03 AM   #2

Where tile meets drywall or plaster, or where tile changes planes(tub-tile joint, where on wall meets another), use caulk. Make sure the joint is clean of all debris, dust, moisture, etc. Use silicon caulk specific for bathrooms(it has a mildewcide). Finish the joint with a moistened finger or spoon. This improves the way it looks and makes a better bond on both surfaces.

For all tile-tile joints, grout. This process is considerably different and may not be OK for the casual DIY. grout is a cement product, unsanded for joints smaller than 1/8", sanded grout for larger joints. The joints must be clean and free of loose material. Grout(avoid premixed) is forced into the gaps with a sponge float, allowed to partially dry(follow directions on the package), then wiped clean with a damp sponge.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #3

Hi,
I am not sure what type of silicone caulking i should used. Recently we used the silicont sealent but it doesn't seem like it would stay on the tiles? Could you kindly give me a little more detail.
Many Thanks,
MM
Old 12-02-2009, 02:27 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 26

Here is what you need
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Before you recaulk, be sure to thoroughly clean out the joint. That means getting rid of any soap scum and old caulk. Use a toothbrush to scrub it out. Then clean it out with de-natured alcohol. You can use the de-natured alcohol to tool the surface of the silicone caulk and force it into the joint. Silicone won't stick to dirt, soap or old caulk.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:16 AM   #6

Hi,
Thanks so much but i can't find this silicone on homedepot or orchard supply....... where can i find it? Will this stick to the ceramic tiles?
Many Thanks,
MM
Old 12-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 26

Polyseamseal , Lowes
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM12345 View Post
Hi,
Thanks so much but i can't find this silicone on homedepot or orchard supply....... where can i find it? Will this stick to the ceramic tiles?
Many Thanks,
MM
Home Depot sells the caulk. Ask someone in the Paint Dept.Lowes sells it. All lumber yards sell it. Most hardware stores sell it.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #9

removed Adv link

A couple of other tips to keep in mind are:

The surface should be clean, dry and free of grease or oil.
and
Let the caulking dry for at least 16 to 24 hrs after it is installed to cure properly.

Siliconized acryllic will shrink, crack and become brittle over time, 100% silicone will not.

Also some surfaces like sandstone or stainless steel require a primer before silicone can bond to it.

good luck

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 12-28-2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: removed advertising links
Earthmaster is offline   Reply With Quote