Cast Iron Vs. Acrylic Bath Tub - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Cast iron vs. acrylic bath tub

Getting ready to redo a bath. What are the pros and cons of these? The tub is just a standard 3 wall aclove tub.

Advertisement

steve65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

I love cast iron, the feel, the classic tub, I love the weight of acrylic if I am the guy moving it and installing.....

Let's give a warm welcome for Americast

Check it out, the best of both worlds

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

I used an acrylic tub on my bathroom remodel and regret it. Even though I set it in a mortar bed there is still some flex in it. I used americast in my last house and liked it much better.

Last edited by jerryh3; 01-26-2008 at 07:42 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:09 PM   #4

For the cast iron there is no prep (as in mortar, etc), you just basically put it in place and you're done?
Old 01-26-2008, 07:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve65 View Post
For the cast iron there is no prep (as in mortar, etc), you just basically put it in place and you're done?
Yep. Just set the ledger board and put it in.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #6

I think we actually found a tub we like. It's the Archer by Kohler. It's acrylic, but it is one of the deep, soaking ones. Any last minute advice to not go with the acrylic?
Old 01-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #7
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
I think we actually found a tub we like. It's the Archer by Kohler. It's acrylic, but it is one of the deep, soaking ones. Any last minute advice to not go with the acrylic?
Sure it will always have a different "feel" and sound than a cast iron, but as far as the serviceability of the product, as long as you stick with a quality brand, and upper end of their line, and not a "home center low price model", I think you will be satisfied.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
Home Remodeler

Rewards Points: 154

Quote:
Thats the one I put in our bath, been a year and it is still beautiful. When I installed it I discovered that it was a little wider than my old tub so I had to move the drain line and the tub and shower lines to the center of the new tub. Also the overflow pipe is longer than the standard ones because of the added depth of the tub. Had to buy the most expensive tub drain kit that had glued joints. I think the directions said no mortor was needed and it had quite a few little support legs. I am not positive but I think I did not use mortor and it is plenty sturdy. Nice tub.

Last edited by mikey48; 01-27-2008 at 11:55 AM.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Sure it will always have a different "feel" and sound than a cast iron, but as far as the serviceability of the product, as long as you stick with a quality brand, and upper end of their line, and not a "home center low price model", I think you will be satisfied.
Just an addition...Lysol Basin Tub and Tile Cleaner, I believe now called Lysol Bathroom Cleaner melts soap and dirt scum away effortlessly and has absolutely no abrasives. My acrylic "Jacuzzi" is more than ten years old and the finish looks like it was installed yesterday.

Five years ago, when the porcelin started "exploding" off of the lip of my kitchen sink because the metal was rusting and expanding from moisture seeping under the lip, I, after much fretting and with much doubt in the back of my mind, replaced it with an acrylic model. Even two teenagers have not put a scratch or chip in it. Just like porcelin, it will get some discoloration from time to time. Squirt some Cascade Liquid Dishwasher detergent and wipe around the sink, let it sit about ten minutes, and clean with a sponge. Brand new again.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey48 View Post
Thats the one I put in our bath, been a year and it is still beautiful. When I installed it I discovered that it was a little wider than my old tub so I had to move the drain line and the tub and shower lines to the center of the new tub. Also the overflow pipe is longer than the standard ones because of the added depth of the tub. Had to buy the most expensive tub drain kit that had glued joints. I think the directions said no mortor was needed and it had quite a few little support legs. I am not positive but I think I did not use mortor and it is plenty sturdy. Nice tub.
Thanks for the feedback, do you remember how much wider it was than your old one?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #11
Home Remodeler

Steve, when I say wider I mean from the back wall to the outside of the tub. I measured the new tub and it is about 31 inches and the old one in my old bath is 29 inches, so pipes wil have to come out about 1 inch. It is kinda funny that after I installed the tub I went to look at my daughters $550,000 new home and they used the same tub. My house is valued at about $300,000 so it is not quite as fancy as hers. She is also closer to Seattle where real estate is higher. The tub was very tight geting into position so I think it was an advantage to using a tub that was lighter. Feel free to ask any questions.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey48 View Post
Steve, when I say wider I mean from the back wall to the outside of the tub. I measured the new tub and it is about 31 inches and the old one in my old bath is 29 inches, so pipes wil have to come out about 1 inch. It is kinda funny that after I installed the tub I went to look at my daughters $550,000 new home and they used the same tub. My house is valued at about $300,000 so it is not quite as fancy as hers. She is also closer to Seattle where real estate is higher. The tub was very tight geting into position so I think it was an advantage to using a tub that was lighter. Feel free to ask any questions.
Thanks for the info. I went and measured and that should still fit. My only issue will be dealing with the existing tile. They tiled right up to the old tub so I will have to figure out a way to "trim" back the tile. Or maybe I can just lay the lip of the tub on top? Other then that it should be pretty simple.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #13
Home Remodeler

Maybe put in some underlayment under the new tub to raise it to the level of the tile. The front edge of these tubs do not carry any weight. Can't think of any reasons you can't do it.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, do you remember how much wider it was than your old one?

Go to Kohler's site choose your item. Scroll down to the Technical information and CAD file section, and you'll find the exact rough in measurements.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #15

Mikey48,

One more question. What is the floor of the tub like, is it smooth or one the textured surfaces?

Advertisement