Care Of Brick Front - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2005, 01:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Care of Brick front

Bought a new house a few months ago. The front is brick, the rest is siding. Recently tore out the hedges in front of the house, and found several mortar gaps in the brick. Have also noticed some smaller gaps in the window ledges upstairs.

What to do? Is there some kind of "tube o' mortar" that I can use to make repairs?

Can anyone recommend a book about care of brick structures? I live by my Home Depot reference guides, but they don't have one for brick.

Advertisement

sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:43 PM   #2

Care of Brick front

No, but you can buy a empyt mortar tube at hd. Or you could use a trash bag corner. I recommend a heavy black bag or contractor type bag

Advertisement

JustaFramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 07:41 PM   #3

Care of Brick front

You want to make sure that it chipped away and wasn't purposely left open for drainage. Don't know what the code is, but I've seen the occasional vertical mortar missing like over a door or something.

When you do go to do it, be sure to clean it out good with a wire brush and clean the dust out so it will have a good clean surface to adhere to. Otherwise, it will chip off soon.
Neil_K is offline   Reply With Quote