Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #1

Share |

Can't Snake An Interior Wall...Help!!!

I'm trying to snake an interior wall to run an ethernet cable from 1st to 2nd floor. I have a steel fishtape that I can't seem to get through the floor. I'm assuming the floorboards go wall-to-wall and there is no gap. Any suggestions on a workaround for this?

jte1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Any suggestions on a workaround for this?
a drill.

you always have to drill the bottom and top plates of a wall to be able to pass through a floor. You may also have blocking within the wall as well. and, yes, you could have flooring to the outer edge of the wall. It is standard practice to install the underlayment of a floor before building the wall.

I am presuming you are getting stopped at the top of the 1st floor. If so, you will most likely have to cut a hole in the wall but you already have to do this fot the data recep anyway. There are flex bits to allow you to drill through the bottom plate of the 2nd floor wall and the top plate of the 1st floor without making a huge hole.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #3

Wireless router
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Wireless router
Yes. But he wants to hardwire! Let's not forget the "fire stop" that runs Horizontally through the center of the wall (in segments, perpendicular to the studs) at about 4' height! (No matter what)Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:25 AM   #5

There shouldn't be a fireblock at mid-height on a conventionally-framed wall less than 10' in height. It is not a requirement. In some cases blocking might be installed for the edges of the plywood sheathing. But the bottom plate and top plates will certainly prohibit snaking a wire without making a hole.

To elaborate on the drill bit thing...
Long (4', 5', etc) drill bits are available that have a fairly flexible shaft on them. You cut the hole in the wall for the box and insert the bit. There's a handheld bracket that wraps around the drill bit to aid in bending it where it enters the wall, and the bracket gives a lot more control. They're not too expensive, and are available at home centers in the same section as the electrical tools. Greenlee is one manufacturer that comes to mind.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #6

Thanks for the recommendations. Trying not to make a hole in the upper part of the first floor wall. The wireless router is an option however that is what I already have. I am trying to hardwire an Xbox from the first to 2nd floor. I'll have to check out the flexible bits next time I am at Home Depot. Thanks again.
jte1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

your hole for the data box on the second floor will provide access to a point below the floor of the second floor. Unless there is blocking in the first floor, this should get you from here to there.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #8

Locate and cut your holes for the ethernet outlets, use your flexible drill bit to drill down through the framing, then run your fish down to your 1st floor where you should have another ethernet outlet hole, run your cable and install your outlets.

You can use low voltage outlet brackets instead of high voltage gang boxes, much easier to install, simply bend the prongs back onto the drywall to hold in place, then you attach your ethernet female outlet to this bracket and install a cover plate. Looks professional and its safe/reliable.
creamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #9

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamaster View Post
Locate and cut your holes for the ethernet outlets, use your flexible drill bit to drill down through the framing, then run your fish down to your 1st floor where you should have another ethernet outlet hole, run your cable and install your outlets.

You can use low voltage outlet brackets instead of high voltage gang boxes, much easier to install, simply bend the prongs back onto the drywall to hold in place, then you attach your ethernet female outlet to this bracket and install a cover plate. Looks professional and its safe/reliable.
It seems that you're an experienced LV installer! Glad you pointed out to the OP (Original Poster) that they don't have to put the wiring in (protective) boxes as in regular voltage (120v.+) The only requirement is that the wiring should be accessible. All the rules of the NEC relating to splices and sealing and grounding apply only @ 50V. and above.

p.s.: Grounding rules actually apply to LV. But the comprehensive and meticulous grounding regulations apply only to 50V.+!(No matter what)Don't Drink and Drive!!!

spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote