Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #1

Share |

Can't figure out a smell in my room

I just purchased a house recently. My bedroom had a funny smell to it. I painted all the walls in the whole house. I replaced the carpet and padding in the room, thinking that might be it. The concrete floor under the carpet looked fine. The smell, I thought, was gone It was just the new carpet smell masking it. The smell is worse when the room is all closed up and when I first enter the room. The smell seams to soak into everything in the room. I can smell it in my clothes. I went in the attic and cleared away the blown in insulation and looked at the drywall that appeared fine. The room has one wall on the outside, one against the garage, one on the hallway, and one against another room. I pulled the garage drywall down and the bedroom drywall looked fine on the bedroom side. I replaced the garage side drywall. Now the last wall that I think may be a problem is the one facing outside. I'm thinking there might have been a leak or is a leak.

I don't have a lot of experiences with smells, so I don't know what smells are what. I asked the fumigation guy if it smelt like something he was familiar with and he said moisture. I asked my mom and she said it doesn't smell like a mold or moisture issue to her, more like a chemical smell.

Last edited by dariusld; 09-28-2012 at 01:05 PM.
dariusld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Without you posting some scratch and sniff it is going to be hard to help you I fear. If you have eliminated the possibility all walls but the remaining ceiling one I guess it is worth a peek in there. You might cut a small holes (taking care not to nick electrical and see if anything is obvious with a flashlight and dental type mirror before you rip the whole wall out. I would look around the window as that is the most likely place for a leak.

Any chance a small animal got in the wall?

You know, sometimes we have gotten so good at tightly sealing and wrapping homes they just need some fresh air. Do you have decent ventilation in that room?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
STAFF

If you have gas heat and a gas water heater that would be the first thing I would check to be sure there are no dangerous fumes coming from there. Next I would check the drains in the house to be sure they are all working properly, not leaking and have water in the traps. I would check to see if the plumbing vents on the roof are open and working as they should.

If there is something that has soaked into the concrete you can get a product at Wal-Mart or most groceries called Odoban, it is cheap and it does work, it doesn't cover the smell it eliminates it.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #4

A dead mouse in the HVAC ducts?
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #5

Forgot to mention that I checked the vent for that room all the way back to the main line. If it is a dead animal, I would think after 6 months of living here, the smell would be gone? Before I moved in the house was tented. I found two dead rats and a mouse, but they weren't above the room in question. When I checked the ceiling in the attic, I went through a lot of the blown in insulation and didn't find any dead critters. I don't know if it matters, but when I replaced the carpet I cleaned the floor with bleach. Venting the room helps a lot, but the smell comes right back when I close the window and door. The last wall I have to check has a window in it, so maybe it's mold from a leak. The roof has gutters and before I repaired them, the water really hit that side of the wall. I just hate to have to do all that work and not find anything And I'd hate to use the hole method and not be thorough and miss something.

You guys are really helpful, Thank You!

Last edited by dariusld; 09-28-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
the Musigician

If it's more like a "chemical" smell, I'd be looking towards the drywall. It may be that "Chinese drywall"....

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
If it's more like a "chemical" smell, I'd be looking towards the drywall. It may be that "Chinese drywall"....

DM
I Googled it and it made it sound like most of that went to Florida and that area. I'm in San Diego. And Home Depot and Lowes said they didn't get any.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusld View Post
I Googled it and it made it sound like most of that went to Florida and that area. I'm in San Diego. And Home Depot and Lowes said they didn't get any.
Which minimum wage person at either assured you of this?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote