Can You Replace A Counter Top Without Removing Old One? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can you replace a counter top without removing old one?

Want to replace countertops but is there a way to put one on top of the old ? I do not want to rip out the old one?

Advertisement

Terri9979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes. But if any parts of the original countertop are curved, it may be beyond your capabilities to mold new laminate to fit.

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #3

Thanks, mine are straight edge. Can any materials be used? Do I have to go laminate again? Can I put tile, or ??? Will the clue stick to the old laminate?
Old 09-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri9979 View Post
Thanks, mine are straight edge. Can any materials be used? Do I have to go laminate again? Can I put tile, or ??? Will the clue stick to the old laminate?
I've never tried tile over laminate, but I don't see why not. Skuff it all up with a sander first.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #5

Thanks again, I have asked two workmen and they say the glue will not stick. I had seen something on this show I think , it talked about buying a counter top to fit , with the edge attached. It would fit right over the old, seems to make sense to me. This way all we would have to do is take out the sink. People at home depot can't tell you much?????
Old 09-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
Old School

The comment about the glue not sticking is a little out there. What do they think is holding the backside of that laminate to the plywood? All you need to do is roughen up the surface, clean it, and the glue will stick like crazy.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #7

Thank you x's 3 ! Have a great day!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,040

I am not a countertop person, my brother-in-law and his late Dad were. Hid Dad had a cabinet business and I helped them some years back when business was better and I did learn some things. IF you have laminate counter tops, then YES you can put new laminate directly over the old laminate. But, as was mentioned: IF there are any curved surfaces I' not sure this would be something for a first timer or DIY person. There are tricks involved with heat guns, rollers, and much knowledge and experience to get this to work. I have also seen tile place directly onto laminate after a really good, almost destructive scuffing. So, YES, it can be done. I'm the type that would go for it to see what I could do with it first. Then I always have to call in the professionals to repair my mess and complete the job. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #9

Thank you Thurman. I will not be doing it myself, but I wanted to make sure it can be done before we get into it. As I said the counters are square edge. Plan on replacing them next year with a back spash.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

I would suggest removing the old top and installing a new one.
The difference in price between re-surfacing and replacing is minimal and the reduced stresses are worth it
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

You can install tile on to old laminate square edge counter tops but you have to score the laminate top by using a utility blade or a sharp knife. This needs to be done so that your tiling compound can stick to the laminate counter top. If you leave the smooth laminate top, the compound may not hold which can cause the tiles to be removed or damaged easily. And don’t forget to remove your laminate back splash.
Or you can install new laminate over the old surface which must be smooth and solid enough to be the base for the new laminate. If there are blisters from excessive heat or water damage, these will need to be sanded smooth and checked to make sure the problem area is mainly superficial.
With everything removed and the counter cleared, the surface needs to be cleaned of grease, dirt and debris. Then it must be thoroughly sanded to allow for the new adhesive to have something to grab onto. Use 100 to150 grit sandpaper and sand it by hand or with a small palm sander; it only needs to be sanded enough to remove the factory shine. After that is complete, vacuum up the dust and wipe the entire surface down with a cloth and some mineral spirits to make it ready for the new covering.

Now apply the adhesive, which is most often done with a brush or a foam roller. Some adhesives will require both the counter and the underside of the laminate to be coated and allowed to dry. This varies, depending on the adhesive, so follow the directions on the one you choose very carefully. Lay dowels down on old laminate and place the new laminate over the dowels and then remove one dowel at a time and firmly press down the new laminate in all areas. Most of the edges will need to be trimmed with a router. This will leave a very clean-looking finished edge; however, with the counter still installed there will be no way to get the router all the way to the edge. The small area left will have to be scribed with a utility knife and carefully broken away; it will then need to be sanded smooth. Only the edge needs to be sanded and with very light 180 grit sandpaper, doing this by hand would be best. Reinstall the sink and plumbing and enjoy your beautiful new counter.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000

Glue and screw down cement board then tile it...waterproof it at the same time.

Advertisement

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote