Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
Do work

Share |

Can you recommend a whole house fan?

Looking to install a whole house fan in my 2 story home. Can anyone recommend some good brands and where to buy them. I'm pretty sure I want one that is multi speed and belt driven. Thanks.

liquidvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Electrician

How many square foot is your house? How high are the ceilings?

How much are you looking to spend?

There are different types of systems, everything from a simple fan mounted to the top of the joists to ducted systems. Some people prefer to mount a large high CFM fan to the gable up in their attic and then open the attic door a bit when the fan is on. You have many options.

Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Do work

I think its about 3400 sq feet. 9 foot ceilings downstairs, 8 foot upstairs. Cost is important, but quality is more important.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidvw View Post
Looking to install a whole house fan in my 2 story home. Can anyone recommend some good brands and where to buy them. I'm pretty sure I want one that is multi speed and belt driven. Thanks.
Sears sells a descent unit. I had a 30" running in my first house for 14 years and never had an issue. Most efficient install is gable mounted as it eliminates all back pressure. You would install the shutter in the ceiling, centrally located. You need to be careful in the Spring and Fall as this unit will pull heating and hot water flue gasses into the house if you don't provide enough intake areas.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Do work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You need to be careful in the Spring and Fall as this unit will pull heating and hot water flue gasses into the house if you don't provide enough intake areas.
Ron
Thanks, but can you expand on this some? I don't quite understand.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
Do work

any thoughts on these fans?

This and maybe two of these or even this

all these fans seems like it would be fine, but I'm not really sure if I can measure the venting in my house. I do have 1 gable vent, soffit vents, and ridge vents. Just not sure how I would measure sq footage of this. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Electrician

Those fans would all work, but did you look at the prices? They are very expensive.

I installed one of these and love it:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

3,400 sqft is a pretty big house, if you have soffit and ridge vents as well as gable vents, I am going to take a guess and say that you probably have enough attic ventilation to allow the fan to run properly. If you install the fan and later find that it's not moving enough air because the attic doesn't have enough ventilation, you can always install a larger, less restrictive gable vent fairly easily. There are also websites that will walk you thru the math of adding up your attic ventilation, if you'd like to do that first.

Last edited by Proby; 07-21-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
Those fans would all work, but did you look at the prices? They are very expensive.

I installed one of these and love it:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

3,400 sqft is a pretty big house, if you have soffit and ridge vents as well as gable vents, I am going to take a guess and say that you probably have enough attic ventilation to allow the fan to run properly. If you install the fan and later find that it's not moving enough air because the attic doesn't have enough ventilation, you can always install a larger, less restrictive gable vent fairly easily. There are also websites that will walk you thru the math of adding up your attic ventilation, if you'd like to do that first.
Attic ventilation is irrelavent to the operation of a whole house fan. You're confusing an attic ventilation fan with a whole house fan. The purpose of a whole house fan is to exhaust hot air from the house not the attic. You need to open doors and windows in the living space to draw in the outside cooler air to make up for the massive amount of air being puled out of th attic. As a by product of this, the hot air of the attic is also pulled from the house. The whole house fan will have marginal results cooling the house if the outside temps are high. They're best used when the exterior temps drop in th early evening.
Ron
Old 07-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
Electrician

Quote:
Attic ventilation is irrelavent to the operation of a whole house fan. You're confusing an attic ventilation fan with a whole house fan.
No, I am not. With the whole house fans that liquidvw and I are talking about, attic ventilation is VERY relevant. This type of WHV vents into the attic, then the air is moved outside. Look into the links and you will see, this is a very effective type of whole house fan.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #10

Quote:
No, I am not. With the whole house fans that liquidvw and I are talking about, attic ventilation is VERY relevant. This type of WHV vents into the attic, then the air is moved outside. Look into the links and you will see, this is a very effective type of whole house fan.
Whole house fans use independent shutters sized to the fan to vent the hot air, not attic vents. As stated before, the most efficient whole house fan is mounted in the gable and blows directly to the exterior. Fans that are mounted in the ceiling will blow air through every opening in the house, including the outlets below and plumbing chases. The vertical nature of the air flow hits the roof rafters and bounces it's way to the exit. For a 30 " fan a 30" shutter is ceiling mounted and automatically opens with the air draw from the fan.
Ron
Old 07-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
Electrician

Quote:
Whole house fans use independent shutters sized to the fan to vent the hot air, not attic vents. As stated before, the most efficient whole house fan is mounted in the gable and blows directly to the exterior. Fans that are mounted in the ceiling will blow air through every opening in the house, including the outlets below and plumbing chases. The vertical nature of the air flow hits the roof rafters and bounces it's way to the exit. For a 30 " fan a 30" shutter is ceiling mounted and automatically opens with the air draw from the fan.
Ron
You're not following.

There are a few different types of WHFs. The type that the OP and I are talking about is the most common, the type that gets installed between the living area of the house and the attic. This type of WHF sucks the air in thru the windows and pulls the house air up into the attic. The attic air is then pushed out the attic vents, which is why the attic needs good ventilation.

Take a look at the 3 links that the OP posted or the link that I posted, all of them show this design. Thousands, maybe even millions of people use this type of WHF with great results.

So my statement stands, attic ventilation is very important when dealing with this type of WHF.

As an aside, you certainly do need to seal your attic off from the house, a can of spray foam and some caulk are usually all that's needed. But this is something that anyone should do, whether they want to use a WHF or not.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #12

Those fans look great. Beats the window fan that I stick into my window in the evenings. If the fans exhaust directly to the attic, is there an issue with exhausting humid air to the attic ?
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
Do work

Quote:
You're not following.

There are a few different types of WHFs. The type that the OP and I are talking about is the most common, the type that gets installed between the living area of the house and the attic. This type of WHF sucks the air in thru the windows and pulls the house air up into the attic. The attic air is then pushed out the attic vents, which is why the attic needs good ventilation.

Take a look at the 3 links that the OP posted or the link that I posted, all of them show this design. Thousands, maybe even millions of people use this type of WHF with great results.

So my statement stands, attic ventilation is very important when dealing with this type of WHF.

As an aside, you certainly do need to seal your attic off from the house, a can of spray foam and some caulk are usually all that's needed. But this is something that anyone should do, whether they want to use a WHF or not.
This is exactly what I'm trying to do. For example tonight it is really cool outside, but hot as balls in the house, so the AC is on and I'm not really happy about that. If I just open the windows I don't get enough of cool air coming in.

With the WHF, I want to open my windows and pull the air from the outside through the house and into the attic. The issue with doing this is that the air in the attic needs somewhere to go. If there is no where to go, it will force its way back into the house. Not good.

So back to my question, anyone use any of these fans? or can you recommend something else. Yes, these fans are pricey, but I'm not sure if the less expensive ones will pull enough air.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #14

Is everyone on this post a member of Jersey Shore?
Ron
Old 07-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Those fans look great. Beats the window fan that I stick into my window in the evenings. If the fans exhaust directly to the attic, is there an issue with exhausting humid air to the attic ?
You are pulling in the outside air and pushing it up thru the attic so I don't think it has much time to condense and cause a problem, i never read anything about it at least. It's the same air that would be naturally flowing thru the attic via passive ventilation.