Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
Keg

Rewards Points: 10

can you paint flat paint over semi gloss

Hello everyone I have a question. The original ceiling was flat and I put semi gloss now. like people said roller marks and imperfections appear. can i buy flat again and go over semi gloss or do i have to do something more like prime it.. thank you all

Keg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,094

You can do what ever you want. Flat over Gloss....gloss over flat.

Have you considered putting a second coat on it first? I personally have not had a whole lot of luck getting by with just one coat of paint when I'm changing colors.

What kind of imperfections? In most cases that is caused by dirt, and not the paint it self. When in doubt, prime it....then paint it.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
Keg

Hi dawg thanks I see the roller marks on the ceiling and the beams from the attic show more now then before.i guess because there is four windows all is seen on the ceiling. I did two coats. when it was a flat China white it was nice. used semi gloss over it and when you open curtains lighting shows everything. Should I buy a flat China white with primer. Some people posted sanding it down before going over. it seems allot for a bedroom ceiling. Or should I just buy flat china white.i appreciate all the help. Thanks
Old 10-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

You might want to lightly sand the ceiling. The area needs a bit of tooth for the next coat to grab onto. You also want to mute some of the thicker rolling issues so they don't telegraph through the next coat.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Keg

So regardless it needs sanding? Or a paint with primer would make it work. or straight primer then flat.. thanks sorry just been frustrated with this project
Old 10-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,064

not sure where you are from but sherwin williams pro mar 200 is some awesome paint ..primer and top coat.....was told anytime changing surface finish always prime.......
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
Keg

Awesome thank you all so much
Old 10-27-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Pro Mar is SW's contractor grade paint. Great paint. Used to use it all the time but it is not their top of the line. Still much better than any box store brand.

Remember that latex/acrylic semi-gloss paints take 30 days to cure. If you try to sand or scruff the surface before then you could have a mess on your hands and sheet upon sheet of gummed up sandpaper.

I would tend to go with the suggestion to stay with semi-gloss---especially if you after that sheen in the first place---and apply another coat with a thicker roller cover.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #9

Another thing to keep in mind when using any kind of gloss on the ceiling is that the direction of rolling makes a difference.
You should always roll towards the windows, the roller marks are then much less noticable.
...Paul
pshadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
Keg

Do you think if I change the nap to thicker would it help cover the roller streaks. I'm not applying pressure to the roll when applying. The guy told me to use a thinner nap. wondering if it would be better to go thick. Also been reading that primer would be fine then flat paint over. Would that stick ok? Or sanding is the only way? Thanks
Old 10-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Give it a light sanding - use a thicker napped roller, but spend the time back-rolling and really evening out the paint. Do two coats of flat. You are seeing roller marks not because it is semi-gloss, but because either you are having coverage issues (not enough paint on the ceiling) or you are not rolling it out properly, or both.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

What nap cover are you using. I seldom used anything thinner than 3/8 and usually started with 1/2 for interior work and latex paints. Other painters disagree but I actually preferred 3/4 when applying semi-gloss---especially to walls and ceilings.

You could put a high bond primer on to be sure of adhesion if you want to shift to flat. Once it is cured, a light sanding will go really fast.

Last edited by user1007; 10-27-2011 at 10:43 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #13

I suggest priming over glossy walls for adhesion but if its a ceiling you really dont have to. I dont see why you'd want to sand at all. We use Benjamin moor and whenever there are roller marks, its just telling us we need another coat.
seamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
Keg

I know Behr has primer inside the paint. is that good enough to cover semi gloss?
Old 10-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
I know Behr has primer inside the paint. is that good enough to cover semi gloss?
Get a typical flat ceiling paint from an actual paint store and you are good to go. Paint and primer in one can is nothing more than a sales gimmick.

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote