Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #1

Share |

Can you have hyrostatic pressure around your basement if only three walls are below?

I just had someone tell me that you can still have hydrostatic pressure on a house with only three basement walls below grade. I always thought it could not happen. I think of it like a bathtub within a larger tub. If the larger tub has 3 walls then the water would drain out before it can have any real pressure on the smaller tub, even if it had a hole in the bottom, it would be minimal pressure. Water seeks the path of least resistance, which would be out toward the above ground wall. Am I correct in my thinking? I'm talking about a two story house on a poured concrete foundation with a garage door on the front of the basement/foundation and large stone walls holding back the soil on the sides.

Last edited by mikegp; 12-02-2011 at 02:19 PM.
mikegp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Can you have hyrostatic pressure around your basement if only three walls are below?

Quote:
Am I correct in my thinking? I'm talking about a two story house on a poured concrete foundation with a garage door on the front of the basement/foundation and large stone walls holding back the soil on the sides.
Ayuh,... The path of least Resistance is the key,...

I'd guess that there's soils around yer foundation stoppin' the water from makin' the corners, 'n out...
Different soils, different resistance...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #3

I'm talking about from underneath. The pressure build up from having water above the bottom of the foundation on all four sides. Not talking about pressure from a small pool laying against a side in heavy clay soil.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #4

Of course it can, it could even have a natural spring under the house.
Having just three sides does not make a differance.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #5

Where would the pressure come from?
Old 12-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #6

Just to clarify. To me the pressure comes from the water on all 4 sides being higher than the water underneath the house. The water underneath wants to be level with the surrounding water causing the upward pressure.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #7

Is the ground saturated outside the area with the walk out part of the house? I would think the ground would show signs of water if you were getting(going to get) it in your basement through the floor.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #8

It's a driveway and stairs directly in front. The sides in front of the stone walls never appear overly wet.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #9

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

I think you have it. The water will seek its own level and the soils that it flows through can affect the rate of teansmission, but it occurs 24x7 and is not instantaneous plus there is a lag time because of this. Water in some areas can rise even after a short dry period because it is already in the soil.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #10

If you had proper foundation prep work with good drainage, I'd say significant hydraulic pressure was unlikely. That is a mighty big "if" we are talking there.

forresth is offline   Reply With Quote