Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #1

Share |

Can you cut down a 8" door jam to 4"??

I have a brand new still in the box prehung exterior door that I bought years ago for a 8" block wall (dont NEED that anymore). Needing same thing for a 2X4 wall I wanted to USE what I have if possible.

Can a door jamb be cut down to 5 and 1/4" (old house 4" stud and half inch drywall)??? Hardest part is the threshold,,,can THAT be cut down also??

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #2

Is it all wood?
If so, take the casing off and cut carefully.
One would almost have to see the door to really know.

VaViaCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #3

Jamb is all wood,,,theshold is all alluminum,,its a Stanley if that matters!!
Old 05-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Experience with installing complete replacement door units in existing doorways says: Can a door unit be cut down to 5 1/4"? My answer is YES, can a DIY do this, probably so. Look at each door unit and understand how each one is made. You may have to take the new unit apart one piece at a time and cut to fit. That's fine, take your time, preview each next step and I'll bet you get 'er done. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #5

Or if you have a rceipt, take it back to where you bought it and exchange it for the one that you want!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Or if you have a rceipt, take it back to where you bought it and exchange it for the one that you want!
8" jamb? Special order. He's not returning it anywhere.
Disassemble the frame. Rip the wood parts to the width you need. The aluminum sill can be ripped but it will look stupid and not function properly. I would just buy one that's appropriate and install it on the frame.
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 05-21-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Only thing I might add is to watch your finished door location. If your rooms change floor coverings at one of those doors, you want to take into consideration exactly where the door should fall in relationship to the two different floors. Contrary to popular belief, right in the middle of the wall or even the door, itself, is not always going to be the correct dividing line... it's often a visual thing when transitioning from a thick carpet to a solid surface... and you want to try to avoid little strips of the other room's flooring showing on the wrong side of a closed door.

This is, of course, just a concern if the floor coverings are already installed.

Last edited by Willie T; 05-21-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
8" jamb? Special order. He's not returning it anywhere.
Disassemble the frame. Rip the wood parts to the width you need. The aluminum sill can be ripped but it will look stupid and not function properly. I would just buy one that's appropriate and install it on the frame.
Ron
Well, Ron; I stand to be corrected on this matter! I must admit that I have never had cause to buy an 8" door, so I'm unaware that 8" doors are a 'special' order!

However, I have never been disallowed from returning items from time to time.
I have had to pay a re-stocking fee, on occasion.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #9

sorry,no can do. Its been a long time and lumberyard has been sold to another firm since. so NO returns and yes it as a special order,,and I doubt they would take it back anyway,let alone too long ago to have a receipt.

i WILL check with them about buying the proper threshold for it once cut down. IF I cut the aluminum threshold,cant see where it can look good,,,unless I can find something like an oak transition. This is destined to go into an OLD house (square nail vintage) (Oops,correction,,,cut nail house). It would be an exterior door from a open covered porch,with a -same as wood deck(spaced redwood 2X4's,'old') (due for replacement soon),,, as floor,,leading into the living room!! (carpeted). it is right angle to street view so asetics of front view isnt effected,,,altho I do want it functional and sightly!!(it is replaceing a very bad old 32" door). it is fairly protected from bad weather.(we dont get much weather from the east here)(east facing door)

Thanks for the replies
Old 05-22-2009, 02:59 AM   #10

Gosh if you're on here it wouldn't be a lot more trouble just to sell that door on Ebay after finding out what it's worth-someone surely would give you something for a door that could be used in countless walk out basement or cinder block garage applications. you wouldn't have to get much for it figuring the cost and trouble of replacing the threshold on an older door style. New, insulated similar 32" standard exterior doors start around a hundred bucks and are still under warranty. If the door is really special then break the jamb into components and resizing is just some planning and a table saw away, but it won't be as simple as lopping an inch-and-a-half off of each side, chances are most of the material will come from the exterior side of the stop. good luck

Buttersdad is offline   Reply With Quote