Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Can this be repaired?

Had a contractor install a new bathtub today, came home and he showed me this damage he did, said he has a guy that can repair it. I'm not sure it'll ever be as good as new, thoughts?

robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Can this be repaired?

Well, fiberglass boat hulls are repaired all the time so the answer is yes. However, the guy should be insured. I would have him replace it if he did the damage.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #3

Can this be repaired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Well, fiberglass boat hulls are repaired all the time so the answer is yes. However, the guy should be insured. I would have him replace it if he did the damage.
For a matter of fact I know he is insured.

Am I right in thinking of giving the Authorized repair person a chance (if there is one), or if not requesting he replace it
Old 04-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Can this be repaired?

Contractors working for me would not even ask. I would demand a new one if a brand new install was damaged. If I installed one and damaged it I might patch it to get the client by until a replacement was found but I would not ask them to accept a brand new tub with patch.

But if you want to give the repair a chance go ahead I guess. Just make sure there is an understanding up front that you are not accepting a repair as resolution of the damage until after you have seen that it does not show, color and surface matches, etc. Like I mentioned boat hulls are patched every day as are fiberglass autobodies. I am not saying it cannot be done.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (04-20-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #5

Can this be repaired?

I would have him replace the tub.
Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

Can this be repaired?

Quote:
Contractors working for me would not even ask. I would demand a new one if a brand new install was damaged. If I installed one and damaged it I might patch it to get the client by until a replacement was found but I would not ask them to accept a brand new tub with patch.

But if you want to give the repair a chance go ahead I guess. Just make sure there is an understanding up front that you are not accepting a repair as resolution of the damage until after you have seen that it does not show, color and surface matches, etc. Like I mentioned boat hulls are patched every day as are fiberglass autobodies. I am not saying it cannot be done.
It's acrylux, not sure if that matters
Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Can this be repaired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb01 View Post
It's acrylux, not sure if that matters
NopeIt is going to have to be a fiber and resin repair of some sort unless there is some sort of bathtub bondo filler and that would seem iffy for anything expected to hold water on a regular basis.

I know you are trying to play nice and it sounds like your contractor is trying too. Of course he does not want to lose profit on the job, eat the cost of a new tub, or have to file an insurance claim. I would just hate to see you encounter problems if the patch does not work out a year or two down the road, even if it can be made to look decent now.

Stuff happens and in this case stuff amounts to a hole in your brand new tub! I wouldn't feel guilty asking for a new one if that is what is bothering you. As I said, my clients would not have to ask me and I would not chastise them. Your contractor should not make you feel guilty asking for one either.

Last edited by user1007; 04-16-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #8

Can this be repaired?

Agree with all. You paid for a new tub, dont accept a repaired one that will not last. He is insured for a reason. good luck.
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeeps For This Useful Post:
1910NE (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #9

Can this be repaired?

You also have to hope the color matches when the repair is done. Is there any coating the factory puts on?
Marty1Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 80

Can this be repaired?

Well, looks like someone just got themselves a old tub, and their customer got a brand new tub, when you are done having him do it. Hopefully you have not paid him yet, and holding the final payment until that damaged unit is replaced. It can be repaired, and if it is just on the wall, it just needs to be able to keep the water from getting through the repair, due to it will not be holding water. But it should overall look like the tub itself, in that you should not see the repair unless you look real close, if done correct.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 26

Can this be repaired?

Quote:
Yep, and yep.

Fixed is not the same as new.
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #12

Can this be repaired?

Get someone who repairs boat hulls with a final coat of gelcoat. See some of their work then you can decide if the tub can be repaired to your satisfaction. Fiberglas is an art and not just anyone can do it properly.
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #13

Can this be repaired?

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input.

He offered to purchase a new bathtub and install it, which is the route we took.

One question, this new bathtub required a mortar bed be installed. Is there any issue installing this on the 2nd Floor of an older home (Built in 1922)?

He didn't put a mortar bed under the first one, so I'm curious as to what the repurcussions of not installing one are?

Thanks again
Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
Household Handyman

Can this be repaired?

As someone who does these type re-vamps/installs, I would feel obligated to tell you that I will remove the damaged unit and replace it at no additional cost.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
sublime2 (04-18-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #15

Can this be repaired?

As far as the morter bed goes, it helps support the bottom in the tubs that require it. Without the morter bed it could crack over time under the weight of bathers. Check out the reviews from consumers of acryllic tubs purchased at Lowes and Home Depot. There are a lot of them that say that the tub is junk because the bottom cracked. But the reality is that these were most likely improperly installed resulting in the failures.

As far as the weight of the morter bed on the second floor, if your installer knows his business, he will make sure the floor is strong enough to support it.

Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote