Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #1

Share |

Can I treat mold on without replacing panel?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/36/r06y.jpg/

Is it possible to treat this wall without having to bang out the panel and replace?

Can I bleach it and prime the wall with Kilz and put Hardy board over it or am I asking for trouble?

The ceiling is worse around the light
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/bzu8.jpg/

I plan on replacing the ceiling panel because that is too far gone. Its the side walls I'm not sure about.

Thanks!

** I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Should have been posted in Drywall boards.
Sorry!

Last edited by Klink; 11-02-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
registered

No its black mold. Its probably worse underneath it.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:43 AM   #3

Is this in a bathroom?
No exhaust fan in there?
How much insulation is in the attic?

The reason I ask is it looks like hot moist air hitting a cold surface above may have caused this.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #4

yes, its in the bathroom. There is an exaust fan, but its on the other side of the room over the toilet.

There is insulation in the ceiling above that I will most likely need to replace when I fix the ceiling, but no insulation in that interior wall.

It was the interior walls that I was questioning.

I guess I will replace everything if its hazardous.

Thanks for the replies
Old 11-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
registered

Ok going your route. Get some tilex mold and mildew remover. Can find at dollar general in the cleaning the bathroom section. Spray walk away. See how it does. Then prime with bulleye 123 then zinseer permawhite interior mold and mildew proof paint. Eggshell. You have a lot of mold there for a bathroom. You might see a little surface mold above shower. Not usually this much.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink View Post
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/36/r06y.jpg/

Is it possible to treat this wall without having to bang out the panel and replace?

Can I bleach it and prime the wall with Kilz and put Hardy board over it or am I asking for trouble?

The ceiling is worse around the light
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/bzu8.jpg/

I plan on replacing the ceiling panel because that is too far gone. Its the side walls I'm not sure about.

Thanks!

** I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Should have been posted in Drywall boards.
Sorry!
You could probably fix the wall panel that you can see, but what would worry me is not knowing what it looks like on the other side. Maybe cut out the affected area and look at the back. Then you may only have to do a patch instead of the whole panel.
Bleach will not kill the mold. Think of a bush bleach would kill the leaves but not the roots. There are a couple of mold guys on here maybe one will be along and tell you something to kill it.
As long as you are going to work on the ceiling anyway I would consider moving the fan a lot closer to the shower otherwise it's just a fart fan. Also check the size of the fan you may need a larger one
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

First, you MUST control the source of the moisture. If you are certain that the mold you are seeing originated on the side towards the room, you can clean it and seal it. One thing you certainly don't want to do is hide it behind another panel. That will just trap the moisture and turn it into an incubator. If the moisture is limited to the surface, then a bleach solution like Tilex will clean it up and you won't see any thing left. If it has penetrated the drywall, then you will have serious staining and it needs to come out. Drywall is pretty cheap. Not worth fooling around with. See the link below for more information on mold.

How to control Mold Part 1
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies everyone
Old 11-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #9

I'm not a mold expert but I think it's what used to be called "mildew." It's mold and it's black but I would hesitate to call it the dreaded "black mold." IMO clean and Bullseye it as described above. Since it's already a light it would be very easy to install a combination fan/light in its' place. There are some that are fairly attractive, but this is a cheaper one:

Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #10
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Mildew is technically a leaf mold and doesn't grow on building products. As far as the color, black mold is no worse than any other color. Black mold is supposed to be associated with Stachybotrus molds, but there is little evidence to show that they are worse than most other common molds. Black mold does have the greatest media hype though. Mold is gold........ for the media, for the sellers of magic mold killer and for some unethical remediators.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (11-05-2013)