Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can I remove dividing wall

I have a 1950's home. They added an extension at one point, but in the basement they left the concrete dividing wall in place so you can't actually get to the other side of the basement(below the new addition) unless you crawl through a large window that must have been the outside window of the original home. Is it safe to me to remove enough blocks(2 or 3 per level) so that a person can at least walk from one side to the next? I don't see how the concrete blocks under the window openeing actually support anything, so I was hopeing to remove some. Any thoughts? Or who can I call about such things? I've attached a couple images.
Attached Thumbnails
Can I remove dividing wall-insidetoout.jpg   Can I remove dividing wall-outsidetoin.jpg  

QuestionGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,224

Can I remove dividing wall

You should be able to. Just do not remove any more then you have to, to make the opening down to the Slab.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote