DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can a DIY build a small in-ground swimming pool?

38K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  ddawg16 
#1 ·
We went on our honeymoon to Sandals Grande in St. Lucia. We stayed in a suite that had its own small private pool. It was only about 4-5' deep in the deep and was only big enough for 2 people comfortably. It was tiled throughout the whole pool with small mosaic tiles. Heres a small picture of it. I am wondering if its possible for someone (me) to build this and what the approximate cost is? We dont have much room in the yard for anything bigger. We have an odd shaped lot and can only do something small. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#15 ·
There is another forum I'm on where the jacuzi question comes up about once a month....you get the same answers.....

1st year.....you use the dog crap out of it...

2nd year....a few times in the summer...

3rd year....took the cover off once, saw the mess...put it back on...

4th year....was willing to pay to have it removed.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. This pool had very simple plumbing. It had basically what most above ground pools have, a strainer/pump inlet and a pressurized outlet that kept the water moving. It also had another outlet that fed the waterfall on the right in the picture.

I once found a website for a company that sold small fiberglass pool shells that came in sizes similar to these. Are these as simple as they seem, dig a hole and place the shell in the hole (level)?

#4 ·
Take a look at Viking Pools.. All fiberglass, one piece, low maint.
Easy installation, [watching them!] but I would have them do it.
They can do all kinds of customized designs to mimic tile etc.

Its what alot of the hotels/resorts use.

They lifted a 24 foot long kidney shaped pool over my house with a crane. Dig time to water going in was only three days. With concrete and all was about three weeks but thats less than a conventional liner type pool.

#9 ·
looks like a nice pool... perfect size. I've tried to convince myself that we could use a pool but can never justify the cost vs. time of use (ohio swim season isnt too long). Now if i could build that small of a pool in an enclosed glass addition that doubles as a greenhouse? that would be doable. . .hmmm...

#11 ·
I would not recommend an in ground pool as a DIY project, unless you are looking for a sure fire life time maintainence project. Even installing a fiberglass shell is not as simple as it appears. If you really want a pool, I'd save for a couple of years and get a reputable builder to install one. Get the pool plumbed with QUALITY equipment, not bottom end stuff, and save the fancy decking for later , when money is available. The fancy decks will look a lot more enticing in the sales portfolio than buying higher priced equipment, but remember that you will expect this stuff to run for 10 to 14 hours per day, seven days a week, for many years.

#13 ·
This is akin to building a 6'x7' family room on your house. Cute idea, but not much good for anything.

Why not just put in a Jacuzzi? That's about all you're going to end up with anyway.

#14 ·
You might explore natural pools. They fit nicely into the landscape and require less chemicals and so forth. You essentially create an ecosystem around the pool.

I think you need to get some estimates from pool and spa companies. While systems may seem simplistic you are no doubt going to be bound to codes for pools. There will be insurance considerations and fences to provide. Do not underestimate the amount of maintenance even a small pool requires. A pool and spa designer can provide you with annual estimates for chemicals and so forth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.