Can A Contractor/Repairman Refuse To Provide Me With A Receipt For Parts? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can a contractor/Repairman refuse to provide me with a receipt for parts?

First off i know this is a DIY forum, and i didnt do this project my self... but I do not know of any other place i can ask this question.. (if someone can redirect me that would be great)

I recently had a boiler break down in for a small rental unit

I called in someone to take a look at it, he told me the motor/pump needed to be replaced and that it would cost $1,000 for the parts + his hourly wage. I did not have time to go around gathering quotes, tenants with no heat etc.

after the work was complete i asked if I could see his receipt for the part he bought to verify that he did in fact spend $1,000 on parts/materials etc.

After a bit of back and forth he basically refused to even show me the reciept. And said he would take me to small claims court if I refused to pay

This is what was said in an email

"Sorry that is not the way it is done in the business world, no company gives or show their receipt to their customers. I bought the pump and l sold it to you. You agreed on the price."

I did not agree to buy a pump from him for 1,000, I agreed to have him fix my boiler and he said he needed to buy a pump for 1,000.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Advertisement

lim1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,234

I think you are in trouble---he has the right to buy his parts wholesale and add a mark up--retail---

He may be a scoundrel or he may not---but he is selling parts and services--and he told you the part was $1000 and you gave him the go ahead to install it--

What he paid for it is not really relevant.----

Don't think I'm defending his prices---I'm just answering your question.--Mike---

Advertisement

123pugsy (01-13-2014), ben's plumbing (01-14-2014), Bondo (01-13-2014), concretemasonry (01-13-2014), framer (01-20-2014), Gene S. (01-24-2014), jbfan (01-15-2014), joecaption (01-12-2014), Rango (01-13-2014), rossfingal (01-13-2014), rusty baker (01-12-2014), Sir MixAlot (01-13-2014), TheEplumber (01-12-2014), ToolSeeker (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 516

I'm with Mike. If you get your car fixed at a shop, you wouldn't expect to see the mechanic's parts cost. If you eat at Waffle House, the cook wouldn't show you what he paid for raw bacon and eggs.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ratherbefishing For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-14-2014), Bondo (01-13-2014), Gene S. (01-24-2014), Jmayspaint (01-12-2014), joecaption (01-12-2014), Live_Oak (01-13-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishing
I'm with Mike. If you get your car fixed at a shop, you wouldn't expect to see the mechanic's parts cost. If you eat at Waffle House, the cook wouldn't show you what he paid for raw bacon and eggs.

Exactly. He gave you a price, you accepted, he completed the work to satisfaction, done deal.

It does sound like he handled it poorly. If it was me, I would simply have written you a bill of sale for the part. You bought it from him after all. How is this different than buying any other product through a third party like in the examples given above...?..
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-14-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 632

No one would stay in business for long if they sold you an item for what it cost.
ben's plumbing (01-14-2014), Gymschu (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,298

Tell you what. If you can get Walmart to tell you what they pay wholesale for things you buy there, I would tell you what I give wholesale for carpet and supplies.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 766

You do however have the right to know that he truly replaced the pump. He can either do this by showing you the receipt showing that he bought the pump (he can black out the price if he wants to) or actually better than that he can give you the old pump that he replaced.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:04 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 158

If you have doubts as to whether the pump was replaced or was replaced but maybe not with a new one(which was not agreed on) have the contractor take you to court and use that as your defense.
rosem637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:17 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,130

If you want to know how much markup was on the pump, locate its model number and call around. You may find that the contractor only made a couple bucks on it.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:20 PM   #10

Well My train of thought was. I am paying this guy for his services. He is tradesmen not a retailer of parts.

What harm can it be to ask for a reciept to show he did in fact buy the part he said he did at the price etc.

I guess I am mistaken

Thanks for the responses though everyone
Old 01-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #11
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,604

I'm a tradesman-happens that my trade is plumbing.
How about this-
I'm replacing your toilet and you decide you want a Gerber Viper EB toilet.
I say I can do it for $425. I don't need to tell you what the toilet cost, or my labor rate- all that matters is the contract price of $425
It's like retail- cost of goods + labor + mark up, profit = selling price
ben's plumbing (01-14-2014), concretemasonry (01-13-2014), sleepyg (01-13-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 11:46 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by lim1017 View Post
Well My train of thought was. I am paying this guy for his services. He is tradesmen not a retailer of parts.

What harm can it be to ask for a reciept to show he did in fact buy the part he said he did at the price etc.
Obviously you and the contractor did not each have the same understanding of what was meant by "the cost of the pump is $1000."

Seems like you assumed the contractor paid $1000 for the pump. You should of specifically asked that question beforehand. Or you could of paid him for his time to diagnose the problem, buy the pump on your own and pay someone to install it.
rosem637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:49 PM   #13
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 636

Only an rookie would show you the receipt. That is not how it is done in the business world. You agreed on the price, now you want to change the terms of the agreement. If a customers sees the receipt they want to ask you 15 minutes worth of questions. Even a handyman around here will not show receipts. If he takes you to court you will lose, it will be on your record, and you will pay his legal costs.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mj12 For This Useful Post:
Rango (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 12:17 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 632

Plus you can plan on him never coming back if you ever need service again.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:59 AM   #15

I don't know about you guys.. but I expect a contrator to make his money from repairs and services. . Not flipping parts/materials...

The examples about wal-mart and such do not apply imo. because when I go to walmart I expect they make money on whatever I buy from them.

I agreed to his hourly rate. I did not agree to buy a part from him. He told me he's at the supplier and the part costs 1000. In my mind I am agreeing to him buying the part for me and me paying him for his labour.

I will be paying him but I feel like I was mislead.

Advertisement