Can A Concrete Truck Get Into My Back Yard? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
Lost..

Rewards Points: 258

Can a concrete truck get into my back yard?

UPDATE ON PAGE 4. Finished pics of slab!

I just posted this same thread, and somebody replied. When I went to check the reply the thread had disapeared..I have no idea what happened.

This is what the original thread said:

I have contacted both concrete companies in my area about this issue, and neither one of them seem to be worried about getting back with me. I have had calls in for 2 weeks now to two different salesmen that work for each company and they won't return my calls. I talked to both of them initially, and now they are blowing me off. I think they may sense a problem with my situation and really would rather not deal with the job.

My issue is that I have a form that I need to pour in my backyard for a shop I'm going to build. The form is 12x16 and will require 5 yards of concrete. I have a regular concrete driveway and I'm sure it's the avg. 4" thick or so. I also have a wooden privacy fence with a gate that is 8' wide with both doors open.

I have had people tell me that a truck with 5 yards of concrete will destroy my driveway, some have said it won't. Others have said that the only thing I should be concerened about is the edge of the driveway where it meets the backyard - a possible fail point. I have also had a few people tell me that a truck won't make it through my 8' wide gate opening. I'd be willing to take the fence down, but I'm not going through the trouble if the truck could possibly destroy the driveway.

One of the salesmen suggested a concrete buggy, which I had never heard of. Maybe leave the truck on the road and go back and fourth between there and the form. I really don't want to have to put any more money into this slab, but if I have to I will. What does it cost to rent one of these things?

Here is an illustration of my yard with some measurements -

And here is an illustration of my idea. I feel like if the truck can back up the driveway and through the gate, the shute will reach around the tree and reach the form-

Please let me know what you think about this situation and advise the best way for me to do it. Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by J S Machine; 05-22-2010 at 08:52 AM.
J S Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

I can almost guarantee you your drive is not strong enough at that rear section to stand 20 + tons of truck dropping off it.

Have you priced a concrete pump? Many companies will send both the truck and their own pumper.

Of course the pumper usually needs someplace to clean out the hoses.

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Lost..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
I can almost guarantee you your drive is not strong enough at that rear section to stand 20 + tons of truck dropping off it.

Have you priced a concrete pump? Many companies will send both the truck and their own pumper.

Of course the pumper usually needs someplace to clean out the hoses.
I hadn't priced a pump truck, but I figured it would be more than I want to spend. I didn't know that most companies have their own and would send it too. I don't have any idea what the magnitude is of the hose cleaning, but I wouldn't mind them doing it in the back yard. I could easily clean that up.

I figured maybe I could build the edge of the driveway up well, but like you say, it would peobably be best to explore other alternatives.

I'm not complaining, but this slab project has turned into a real pain. You probably saw my other threads. I replaced the the topsoil in the middle with gravel and compacted it, and lowered the step down like I was advised to do. Everything is good to go and now I can't seem to get any concrete back there without jumping through hoops lol.

The reason I keep mentioning cost is because I am in way deeper than I thought I'd be. I initially planned to spend about $200-300 on the slab, and I have more than that in it already without concrete! That will be another $500 or so... And if I have to rent a buggy or a pump truck...
Old 05-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Pump truck for my foundation pour was an extra $800 here
And they drove over dirt to make the pour
Replacing your driveway will cost more

One reason I do all pavers out back

You had 2 threads on the same topic
Something must have gone wrong when I merged them...sorry
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Jack of all master of sum

Rewards Points: 25

Perfect little line job......... but remember when you order a pump you may need 1/2 meter of grout, depending on the operator, but 25 ft up to about 50-60'ft of steel line with only one or 2 rubber will prime out fine with slick pack, so grout may not be needed, buy you will need to order 1/2 to 1 full meter to prime the pump, then you need a spot for the pump to wash out which will leave you about a 1/2 meter pile to deal with.

Last edited by BobCaygeon; 05-13-2010 at 10:04 AM.
BobCaygeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,516

Looks like a pretty small slab.

What ever happened to a wheelbarrow ?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Lost..

Well, a wheelbarrow isn't out of the question, but for 5 yards of concrete I think it would be pretty rough. And, would a concrete truck be willing to sit there while I go back and fourth from the truck to the form with a wheelbarrow?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
Mod

I was thinking more like 3 wheelbarrows.

Out here you can get a tow behind line pump with operator for $250-300 for something that small.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
Lost..

Just checked. A local line pump co wants $425 minimum.

3 wheelbarrows is out of the question. I might be able to come up with two, but there will only be 1 person helping me, maybe 2 if I'm lucky.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
Lost..

Ok. Looks like a "Georgia buggy" will be what I need. local rental place says $90 a day. That isn't bad. It's more than I wanted to spend but I guess that will have to do.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,464

Rent a power wheel barrow. They also make ride on versions.

http://www.winnrentals.com/newequip.htm

Old 05-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post
Ok. Looks like a "Georgia buggy" will be what I need. local rental place says $90 a day. That isn't bad. It's more than I wanted to spend but I guess that will have to do.
Looks like $90 well spent.

The truck will sit there as long as you want. They give you like 40 min. then just charge truck time after that.

That’s probably a question you should ask. How much time do I get before the price goes up?
Old 05-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #13
Lost..

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Rent a power wheel barrow. They also make ride on versions.

http://www.winnrentals.com/newequip.htm

That's what a "georgia buggy" is apparently. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post
My issue is that I have a form that I need to pour in my backyard for a shop I'm going to build. The form is 12x16 and will require 5 yards of concrete.
Just out of curiosity, do you really need the slab 8" thick?
Old 05-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #15
Lost..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you really need the slab 8" thick?
The slab surface is 4" and it has 12"x12" footings. There is a little fall in the center of the slab area and also a small step out front, so a little extra is figured in.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to J S Machine For This Useful Post:
47_47 (05-13-2010)