Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #1

Share |

can anyone suggest a one story humidifier...

Colder weather is here in Pittsburgh and Im already feeling the dry, itchy skin.

Can anyone suggest a humidifier that is effective and reliable to add moisture to the 1st floor of my home? Its roughly 1000 square feet.

I already have a Honeywell mounted on the return air side of my forced air furnace, but it doesn't seem to help much.

I am willing to pay for a good one, that is effective at bringing up the humidity level in winter.

Saw this one on amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-34357-2...pr_product_top

Thanks in advance for any info or help.

dbldee20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:12 AM   #2

If my memory serves correctly, the best is Aprilaire. Of course you must select one sized for your house. But first, your existing humidifier may just need some maintenance. Screens, pads etc., become caked with minerals from the water and loose effectiveness. They should be cleaned or replaced regularly.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
fabrk8r

As Just Bill said, your existing humidifier may just need some minor maintenance.
What model of Honeywell humidifier are you using? I believe that even the smallest Honeywell bypass humidifier is capable of producing 9 gallons of moisture per day, which should be enough to keep you comfortable. Some models produce 12 to 18 gallons per day.
I think a humidifier such a a Honeywell bypass or fan powered or an AprilAire of the same type is the most efficient and convenient way to humidify your home. A console humidifier is a lot of work to keep filled, keep the filter clean and they are noisy. Plus the filters are expensive.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
fabrk8r

BTW, if you don't have the owners manual anymore you can download one from Honeywell's website. It will show you what maintenance needs to be performed to keep the unit operating efficiently. You can even get new parts for older units.

Another item to check is whether you are getting enough (or perhaps any) water. If the installer used a saddle tap it my be limed shut.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #5

thanks for the replies guys. its a Honeywell "Enviracaire Elite" with a 6" bypass which definitely draws air through it. I've opened it while the furnace is running. It has an remote humidity control mounted on the return side as well. I clean/vacume the unit and change the water pad each spring. And, yes the damper is open in the bypass. The water feed is tapped into a cold water pipe.

I wonder if it would be more effective if the moisture being added didn't have to pass thru the media filter(which is 5" thick) and then thru the heat exchanger/furnace before it is forced thru the upstairs vents? When I had a new, more efficient furnace installed a few years ago they moved it to the return side instead of the supply side (after the heat exchanger) which is where it was originally installed. It seemed to work better when it was on the supply side(I noticed more moisture on the windows than i do now)
dbldee20 is offline   Reply With Quote